Accidental cross breeding?

1. ESHAM1381 Initiate Member

Accidental X breeding

I have two female Convicts (Amatitlania nigrofasciata) and one Male earth eater (Geophagus steindachneri) in a 40 Gal. I have done well even with the mild tempered earth eater with my aggressive convicts. Recently the eartheater has started shimmering or convulsing, and none of my fish would eat this morning.
    What could this be besides breeding behavior? is there a way i can deter them from mating? i have no desire for a cross breed.

2. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!

Firstly, i would recommend not to create multiple threads on the same topic. The mods dont like having to deal with that issue. People will answer your question in time.

Secondly, I dont believe this to be breeding behaviour. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Fish not eating (especially if its all of them) is usually a sign of disease or stress. Do you have a test kit? If so, what are your readings?

3. ESHAM1381 Initiate Member

I will be sure not to post the same issue twice i apologize. Thank you for the response :) I am aware of the nitrogen cycle, and i have indeed already tested my tank my ammonia is 0 my nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are below 10 PPM. I do once a week quarter water changes and with the exception of not eating today i haven't seen any other sickly behavior.
    I am seeing abnormal behavior from my male besides the shimmering as well, my female convict follows him around and nudges his flanks.
    She use to be very stand offish from him and would chase him away if he even came close...

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

No need to apologize :) We all go through the learning curve...

Im glad to see your reading are in the regions that are considered perfect :)

How long has this tank been setup? It could just be that the convicts are more comfortable with their sorroundings. I would say that i believe your earth eater is going to get too big for that tank as most get up to 10". But that wouldnt explain the not eating. It could be a disease, but who knows. Do you see any symptoms? I.e:

check the head,
    eyes,
    scales,
    feces (colour)
    eating habits
    behaviour (compared to normal)
    gills
    fins

See if you can find anything out of place with any of these and we'll see if we can find out whats up with you're fish :):)

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bDon't be sure that they breed until they do.... I have seen my cichlids behave the same way with no outcome.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like you need some cichlid contraceptive. It's good to have on hand when you keep different species together.

7. ESHAM1381 Initiate Member

New update I have checked for signs of disease and found nothing. However the convicts are eating just fine now and the eartheater still Isnt. The eartheater swims to the food like he wants to eat it but refuses to open mouth. I have tried Bribing with blood worms and he looked very interested but still nothing.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged, duplicate deleted.