Accidental Breeding?

Slapp

Hello,

One of my male honey Gourami’s has made a bubble nest, and is sporting quite vibrant coloration.

I wasn’t expecting them to want to breed, so I’m not quite prepared, but I’d feel bad leaving them to die.

I have brine shrimp eggs, if the babies will eat that. If not, the tank is covered in cyclops.

It’s a community tank they’re in right now. With tetras and corries. Fun fact, the tetras bred accidentally as well, just one offspring.

Would an internal or HOB breeder box keep them from being eaten? I don’t have any spare space for a tank, but I do have one of those.

I don’t expect to have very many babies survive, I’d just feel bad not helping at all.

Joshaeus

Like most anabantoid bubblenesters, honey gouramies produce very small fry that need infusoria for a while before they can take brine shrimp. I am not sure any common breeder boxes would have small enough holes to contain the fry - most of these are intended to contain much larger fry like guppy fry. I have lately started using pieces of sponge as my filter media so that I can quickly set up a quarantine tank for fry/weakened/new adults...not sure that will help you now, but it may be helpful for next time. (Side note...squeezing a mature sponge will produce a 'sponge grunge' that will contain many infusorians. Just wait for the muck to settle out and then gather the clear water above it and feed it to the fry).

Slapp

Like most anabantoid bubblenesters, honey gouramies produce very small fry that need infusoria for a while before they can take brine shrimp. I am not sure any common breeder boxes would have small enough holes to contain the fry - most of these are intended to contain much larger fry like guppy fry. I have lately started using pieces of sponge as my filter media so that I can quickly set up a quarantine tank for fry/weakened/new adults...not sure that will help you now, but it may be helpful for next time. (Side note...squeezing a mature sponge will produce a 'sponge grunge' that will contain many infusorians. Just wait for the muck to settle out and then gather the clear water above it and feed it to the fry).
Oh jeepers they’re that small?

Yeah I guess even if I did have a tank with a filter ready, I wouldn’t have the food.

Good prep for next time at least.

I have a shrimp tank with lots of microfaunal growth, but it’s unheated. Is it worth a shot of putting them in there?

Joshaeus

Oh jeepers they’re that small?

Yeah I guess even if I did have a tank with a filter ready, I wouldn’t have the food.

Good prep for next time at least.

I have a shrimp tank with lots of microfaunal growth, but it’s unheated. Is it worth a shot of putting them in there?
Yep. I've raised black paradise fish fry and almost succeeded with banded bushfish fry, both of which are also bubblenesters...the former needed infusoria for about a week and I was feeding the latter infusoria for the better part of two weeks before adding brine shrimp (I raised some of the black paradise fish fry to sellable size, but the banded bushfish were overcrowded and died of an ammonia spike at about 1cm in size...they were taking dry foods too! :( ).

The shrimp tank is worth a try; honey gouramies are tolerant of temps of at least 66 fahrenheit (I read of someone who accidentally introduced one to a newt tank of that temperature, and it survived growing up amongst the newts!). The main problem I can envision is if the fry suffer shock from being moved to a setup with significantly different parameters. I have no clue whether shrimp would attempt to eat the fry.

Slapp

Yep. I've raised black paradise fish fry and almost succeeded with banded bushfish fry, both of which are also bubblenesters...the former needed infusoria for about a week and I was feeding the latter infusoria for the better part of two weeks before adding brine shrimp (I raised some of the black paradise fish fry to sellable size, but the banded bushfish were overcrowded and died of an ammonia spike at about 1cm in size...they were taking dry foods too! :( ).

The shrimp tank is worth a try; honey gouramies are tolerant of temps of at least 66 fahrenheit (I read of someone who accidentally introduced one to a newt tank of that temperature, and it survived growing up amongst the newts!). The main problem I can envision is if the fry suffer shock from being moved to a setup with significantly different parameters. I have no clue whether shrimp would attempt to eat the fry.
Hmm, well I have a water change coming up on the shrimp tank. And there’s very little nitrate in the main tank. Maybe I transfer that water into the shrimp tank rather than new water? I’m not sure. The tanks get the same water in, and I don’t buffer the tank. Everyone seems to be happy on my tap, with a little assistance from substrates.
When should I transfer them? As eggs or as freeswimmers?

Joshaeus

Hmm, well I have a water change coming up on the shrimp tank. And there’s very little nitrate in the main tank. Maybe I transfer that water into the shrimp tank rather than new water? I’m not sure. The tanks get the same water in, and I don’t buffer the tank. Everyone seems to be happy on my tap, with a little assistance from substrates.
When should I transfer them? As eggs or as freeswimmers?
I am unsure...I have never tried to move eggs or fry before. I would not recommend removing them from the water at any point, so try to use a cup or spoon of some kind.

Slapp

I am unsure...I have never tried to move eggs or fry before. I would not recommend removing them from the water at any point, so try to use a cup or spoon of some kind.
Ok. I’ll cup em.
I started an infusoria culture from a little bit of sponge sludge and tank water. Maybe that’ll come in handy if they live off the tank for a little bit.
Do the fry come in waves, or do they lay just once?

Joshaeus

Ok. I’ll cup em.
I started an infusoria culture from a little bit of sponge sludge and tank water. Maybe that’ll come in handy if they live off the tank for a little bit.
Do the fry come in waves, or do they lay just once?
Good move. I started infusoria cultures using an empty 2 liter bottle, old tank water, and a couple pieces of rabbit food and then moved the bottle outside (it smells!). I do not know how often honey gouramies spawn.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
bcsay720
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
DuaneV
  • Question