Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Accidental Babies! Yay!!!!

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Cicca, Nov 21, 2018.

1. CiccaValued MemberMember

I have tried for years with zero luck to breed ghost shrimp in my tanks.

Somehow or another this overstocked, overfed, not fully cycled tank did the trick.

I know I will never be able to reproduce the results so long as I live, but I'm just so freaking excited!
    I've breed all types of shrimp in the past, everything from black bees and imported tiny green ones from India to the common cherry with a lot of success, but never have I been able to breed the ghosts.

It's a talent that has eluded me thus far.

So, I was adding a new substrate to the new tank now that it is nearly cycled through, the glass beads are cool but trapped too much waste that my cleaning crew could not get to, and the final straw was when one of the pregnant mango plattys got wedged between tank glass and bead. Thankfully hubs saw it and I got her out before she was even a little stressed! :)

So last night we take down the tank and I start removing decor. counting occupants as I go so I don't miss anyone.
    4 fish- check.
    2 pond snails- check
    3 GS- ummm?
    recount, nope I was right there are 6!
    I only bought 4 to start with and one of them died last week.
    I have no idea how it happened, but I'm so happy I just had to share!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Happy holidays to all.

2. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Congrats!

3. CiccaValued MemberMember

Thank you!

4. KyleeValued MemberMember

That's so awesome! Almost a year ago I had two ghost shrimp that breed and 3 babies survived without my knowledge! I was so excited. I hadn't been able to get any babies to survive since, but I have 4 females that were full of eggs when I got them, and I believe 7 males, and I saw 2 babies a couple days ago!! I'm not sure why I love them so much but I just do :emoji_blush: