29 Gallon Tank Acceptable Temp. Range for Water Change

breakoff

Call me lazy, but hauling buckets back and forth grows tiresome. Near my tank, outside, I have a faucet that dispenses water at 72F, but my tank runs at 78F. Is this temperature difference too great for a weekly ~25-30% water change?

mattgirl

Nope, I refuse to call you lazy Although I consider carrying bucket good exercise for me. If I had to carry them up and down stairs though I would have to rethink my way of doing water changes.

Does your tank have to be kept at 78? Can you lower it a few degrees? If so then it wouldn't be that big a difference. Even if you can't I don't think a 25/30% water change would change the tanks temp enough to affect your fish.

Upvote 0

breakoff

If I were to lower it to 76, per se, would that be totally okay?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

If I were to lower it to 76, per se, would that be totally okay?
It depends on the needs of your fish. I keep my tanks at 76 for my community fish although the water does get warmer than that during the summer months. Some fish require specific temps. If your fish would be comfortable at cooler temps then it would be okay.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I have a community with Serpae Tetras, swordtails, and albino Cory cats. From what I know, 76 lies in a comfortable range for everyone.
Lowering the temp in the tank sounds like the best route to take then.

Upvote 0

JPH1970

It's a pain to have to get the faucet temperature to match the aquarium temperature. So much water is wasted.

I bought 2 more buckets last night to aid in water changes. I'll fill them up a few days before a water change and toss them in my bathroom, where the room temperature is higher than the rest of the house.

Sorry for jacking your thread. I found this interesting

Upvote 0

mattgirl

It's a pain to have to get the faucet temperature to match the aquarium temperature. So much water is wasted.

I bought 2 more buckets last night to aid in water changes. I'll fill them up a few days before a water change and toss them in my bathroom, where the room temperature is higher than the rest of the house.

Sorry for jacking your thread. I found this interesting
Just some thoughts for you if you are catching flack for wasting water or will for having 3 buckets of water sitting in the bathroom. I don't catch flack but I do hate wasting perfectly good water.

When doing my water changes I use one 4 gallon bucket for fresh water. I do waste some water getting the hot water as hot as it is going to get to the faucet during the winter months. I then adjust the temp as the bucket is filling. Next time I do a water change I am going to see if I really need to waste even that amount of water. I may be able to get the temp up where it needs to be even by using all the cold water in the line as the hot water is making its way through it.

Before I do that though I will draw up some water from the hot water line and check the TDS on it. There may be a big accumulation of minerals in the hot water tank. Even at that it might not be a problem since the mineral level in my tap water is so low.

I hold a thermometer in the bucket as it is filling. I normally only have to do that with the first of 6 buckets it takes when I change the water in the 55 gallon tank. Once I get the temp set I just spot check to make sure the temp is holding steady. If I change that up and I use all the water in the hot water line I will have to do some adjusting in the second bucket.

My problem during the summer months is not too cool but sometimes not cool enough. Thankfully the summer temps in my tanks are warmer than the winter temps. Winter temps 76 summer temps often up close to 80 and that is without a heater. We have an air conditioner but don't keep the house as cool as some do.
I have a community with Serpae Tetras, swordtails, and albino Cory cats. From what I know, 76 lies in a comfortable range for everyone.
Something I forgot to mention before. The water changes with a bit cooler water may prompt your corys to start laying eggs. Mine normally don't need prompting though

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Amber818
  • pH
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sorg67