AC filters surprisingly louder than expected

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by el337, Jul 18, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

So I finally set up my 46g tank yesterday and installed both AC50 and AC70 and had them running. While I didn't expect them to be as quiet as my previous Aqueon quietflow, it's definitely a lot louder than I expected.

I even have it on the lowest flow. Is there anything else I can do to mute them just a little?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Raise the water level a bit so the "waterfall" descent isn't as steep. I hardly hear mine... Plus this is why I only run one HOB if I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Apply some petroleum jelly to the motor magnet and shaft. While you have the motor off apply some of the petroleum jelly to O ring. Be sure that the intake tube is inserted down into the motor chamber.Sometimes the lid is the culprit so adjust as needed. As a slime coat builds up Aquaclears will become silent. When you start it up have the flow on + and gently push down on the intake tube ,this will help expel air in the tube to quiet it down.

4. OP
    OP
    el337

Ah ok. Thanks for both of your advices! Will try them!

5. ccb04

ccb04 Well Known Member Member

A few things to try.....

- Leave both filters on full flow unless the current is bothering the tank inhabitants. Filters with flow control can sometimes become louder when the flow is restricted.

- Try a conditioner with a slime coat enhancer such as NovAqua+, Fish Protector, etc. to lubricate the impeller magnet and shaft. I've used Prime & Stress Coat as well. NovAqua+ & Fish Protector has a thicker viscosity. Also, once some 'slime' naturally builds up on the impeller parts, things should quiet down. You would of course want to re-apply a coating after cleaning the impeller.

- Run the filters without the lids on for at least a bit...as the lid can amplify any noise/vibrations.

- Check the impeller blades for any burrs, chips, etc. Also make sure that the impeller shaft on the filters isn't bent or loose.

- Make sure the filters are level.

- If it's the 'waterfall' effect from the outflow that is loud...raise the water level in the tank.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    el337

Thanks! I have noticed a slight decrease in noise as the days passed. I guess it just needed some "break-in" time!

7. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Keeping the water level higher also reduces the amount of static head on the pump inlet, and that reduces the tendency for bubbles to form and cavitation to occur at the pump impeller.

Cavitation is noisy. So that helps with one source of racket made by a lot of filters that use this sort of design.

You can also sometimes get some noise relief by wedging the tops in with some foam pieces to keep them from being able to rattle. After things get dirtier and some scale builds up, it often cures the lid rattle on its own, too. :)

8. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Mine has added motor noise if its not level

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice