AC 70 Media Issue

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fishnob, Apr 6, 2010.

1. f

fishnob Valued Member Member

Hi All

Not sure how to explain this. My AC 70 is having issues with the media basket lifting out of the filter. So what seems to be happening is that the foam block (media) at the bottom is getting pushed up and there is about a 1 inch space between the bottom of the filter and the media block. I can push it and all other media down and start the filter and it just floats back up. When this happend water comes out of tthe top of the filter, so the only way I have found to some what fix it was to put an elastic around the filter to keep the top held down and this stops it from pushing out the top. Here are the questions I have. Also a side note, I have had this filter for around 2 months and it just started to happen a few weeks ago.

Any idea why this happens?
    Is there any thing I can do to stop it?
    Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. D

David C Well Known Member Member

The grey basket that holds the media should have two little clips towards the bottom that will pop into notches inside the AC housing. When you push the basket down, you may need to push it a little harder to get it to "snap" into place. This happened to me before I realized I wasn't pushing it down all the way.

Dave

3. OP
    OP
    f

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info, I do know what you mean by the snap into place. It does snap in, and I can hear it go click, but it still comes out...it's very frustrating....

4. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

I know exactly what you mean. I have experienced this with my AC50, 70 and 110. I was baffled the first time I observe this.

From time to time when I do things in a hurry it happens again. The solution is quite simple: the plastic housing/basket where the media is placed has an overture (on the lateral walls) that allows the quasi-square plastic piece that is placed between the intake tube and the impeller to hold it in place. If you take a few seconds to make sure the orifice in the basket "snaps" with the hard plastic piece your problem will be solved.

Another thing: As time goes by and stuff is collected in the sponge media, it can develop a tendency to float. Just rinse gently in treated tap water to take all that stuff out.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

ACs are designed for that to happen. When the filter media gets clogged, it lifts off the bottom because ACs work by pushing the water up from the bottom and out the top. That's your que to give it a rinse.

6. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks for all the info guys and gals. I was thinking that it might be that the media needed to be rinsed, but wasn't sure =) I will give that a try tonight or tomorrow and report back.

7. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Great thread. Hope your issue gets resolved. I have 3 AC's and never had any problems with the media lifting up. I make sure my sponges don't get too gunked up though.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The smaller models will pop the top when the filter media is clogged.

9. OP
    OP
    f

I gave my media block a rinse and added a 2nd new media block to the bottom, and all is fixed! I guess when I rinised it the last time (last week) I didn't get all the gunk out =)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice