AC 70 and Crushed Coral

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by jhigg008, Jun 24, 2016.

1. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Just upgraded from the Top Fin 30 to the AquaClear 70 for my 29 gallon today. I am loving it already as there is sooo much extra room. Here's my question, I know I put the mechanical filtration and the bottom, chemical in the middle, and biological on top. Where should I put crushed coral? I just kind of lumped it in with the chemical and put it in the middle. Also I might use a nitrate reducer at some point (if it becomes necessary which so far it seems okay without). Should that go in the middle as well?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Yay! I love Aquaclears and have both the 50 and 70 myself.

I put my bag of crushed coral right next to the biomax but I don't think it really matters. Anywhere you can fit it should be fine. I've never used a nitrate reducer so not sure where the ideal place for it is but I'm guessing it shouldn't matter either. Do you have nitrates in your tap?

3. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

No, but I do have about 0.5-1.0 ppm ammonia which doesn't help with the eventual nitrate reading. It has never been over 20 ppm at the end of the week.

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If the ammonia is fully processed by your bacteria, I wouldn't worry about it and especially if your nitrates have never been over 20ppm. IMO, you don't need the nitrate remover since you can easily remove those nitrates via water changes.

5. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

Did you run with the old one also? If your media hasn't dried out from your top fin I would advise (if able)) to run both for a few weeks. That way the bio,ax can get populated and you aren't having to cycle your tank.

6. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

I cant run both due to the shape of the hood. But my top fin was still running and I just transferred all the stuff from the Topfin to the AC while it was still wet. The only thing I added from the AC media kit was the big sponge. But I still put all of my old media into the AC. Hopefully my cycle will hold.

In addition to the topfin bio foam Ivdid have flubal biomax spheres running in the topfin in case I needed seeding material so I transferred those over as well.

7. peregrine

OK. For room sake here is what I would do.

Cut the filter floss off the top fin cartridge.. place it right below the biomax. Means you will be using the bacteria from the top fin for both bio filtration and for seeding the biomax. You might have a small cycle but shouldn't be bad.

8. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

Actually the floss was already cut off because I had to empty the carbon out as I was treating the tank with paraguard for heat resistant ich. So all good there!!! I actually had biomax already running in the TopFin so I didnt add in the biomax that came with the kit.

9. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

Does anyone know how long crushed coral remains effective at buffering for upping KH?

10. peregrine

From what I know. Until it no longer exists. The way it ups KH is it slowly dissolves. like REALLY REALLY slowly.

11. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

Awesome. Then I suppose the bag I have will last a lifetime.

12. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have a huge bag of it too. Barely made a dent in it.

[​IMG]

You'll just have to set up more tanks so you can use more coral!

13. peregrine

Depending on the size of bag, ad how much you are using. It definitely could last a lifetime. Or at least REALLY REALLY close.

14. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

I have that same topfin bag as above. I use about a cup in my 29 and a half cup in the 10 gal betta. Not sure what the new 55 will need. Even in the other tanks my KH only went from 1 dkh to 3-4 dkh. Might put more in the 29 since I just transferred to the AC 70 which has soooo much more room for media.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice