Absolute noob here. Couple questions

I3uckethead

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@TexasDomer people keep telling me that my tank is over stocked. I removed the hatchet fish for now. Does that sound good? Or do you think I should switch the tetras for hatchetfish? Just opinions
There are a lot of people with a lot of opinions on this site. Personally, when TexasDomer or Anders247 gives stocking advice, you can take it straight to the bank.

If you are nervous, the hatchetfish are the last guys in anyway. Just wait a few weeks between the last school of fish you add and adding the hatchets. That will give you time to get settled into a maintenance routine.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That will seriously work? And then I just pull the lid out? Awesome. I have to go back in the thread and find the filter you Reccomended

@TexasDomer are there any filters that don't need to be, like maintenances? Jax suggested a hang on back filter but I don't know what's good. I can spend < or = 50 on the filter
It's that simple!

All filters need to be maintenanced (rinsing media in dechlorinated water to remove debris and waste), but some are easier than others. I like the AquaClear filters - easy to clean and filter well - but I also use Marineland since they are self-priming.

@TexasDomer people keep telling me that my tank is over stocked. I removed the hatchet fish for now. Does that sound good? Or do you think I should switch the tetras for hatchetfish? Just opinions
Remind me of your stocking again?

blakeugan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, thanks l3ucket

I'm just afraid that I will mess things up. Is that normal @TexasDomer ? Like what if I mess up the cycle or forget to change the filter once and everything dies. I'm not getting a quarantine tank. I can't afford buying an entire second tank,never if it is small. So I'm just nervous. Isn't it true that overstocking can lead to easier disease

how much of a water change will I have to do if I have that full list including the hatchets. Plus, do I keep the fish in during water changes?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Hatchetfish really only occupy the surface, and they have a very small bioload. I don't think you need to remove them, but if you want to, you can. I don't think you're overstocked for a 20 gal long.

I'm just afraid that I will mess things up. Is that normal @TexasDomer ? Like what if I mess up the cycle or forget to change the filter once and everything dies. I'm not getting a quarantine tank. I can't afford buying an entire second tank,never if it is small. So I'm just nervous. Isn't it true that overstocking can lead to easier disease

Never remove the filter cartridges/filter media, just rinse it in old tank water or dechlorinated tap water. If you find that the media is falling apart, add new filter media, wait 3-4 weeks, and then you can throw away the old media.

how much of a water change will I have to do if I have that full list including the hatchets. Plus, do I keep the fish in during water changes?
I'd say 50% weekly would be great. Yes, leave fish in. Get a gravel vacuum/siphon and use that to clean the substrate (as mentioned earlier) and remove half of the tank water weekly.

blakeugan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You're amazing man. One more for now. What do I do with the old water?

blakeugan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok guys, update time. Just finished my cycle. I'm looking back to this, my first post, and it's just so cringey, it was just two months ago I WOULDNT STOP ASKING ABOUT THE RTBS. Thanks for all the help guys. image

SuzanaBanana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok guys, update time. Just finished my cycle. I'm looking back to this, my first post, and it's just so cringey, it was just two months ago I WOULDNT STOP ASKING ABOUT THE RTBS. Thanks for all the help guys. image
I LOVE your set up, do you mind me asking where you got the devorations?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom