Absolute Minimum Tank Size For One Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by PAND3MIC, Aug 6, 2017.

1. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

I wanted to know what the absolute minimum tank size you could keep a single cherry shrimp in. I want something desk sized. How would a single shrimp fare in, say, a 1/3rd gallon tank, assuming the water parameters are consistent and there is ample water circulation? How much space does a lone shrimp need to be content?

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I would never keep anything in a tank that small. You could MAYBE keep 1 shrimp in a half gallon properly filtered "tank", but I'd say 1 gallon is a safe minimum.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed, at least 1 gallon.

4. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

yeah, bigger is better because of keeping water parameters constant. Look at juice jugs for example. 1, even 2 gallons isn't that big. Find a really big glass jar and that would probably be close to a gallon or two.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Glass Jar tanks are becoming popular.
    I've seen people use drink dispensers for tanks.

6. OP
    OP
    P

That was my thinking, I want to make a tank small enough to be able to do water swaps with a gallon jug of RO water. I was curious because a friend asked me to look into a Micro tank and quite frankly I have never heard of someone keeping a single dwarf shrimp. I have some good ideas for keeping the water stable, but I wasn't too sure how little space a shrimp could live in without being stressed. He originally asked for a liter tank and I was like - ? You can't put a living creature in a bottle of coke. I was wondering if anyone out there ever tried it. Thanks for the input, y'all.

A jar would be interesting, but I wanted to make it a small rectangular tank so it looks like a miniature show tank. Plus, as a mostly bottom-dwelling animal, I know they would appreciate the extra space vs a tall cylinder

7. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

You could build a tank! wouldn't be that hard and would be really cheap for something that small. Its actually quite easy. All you need is ask your closest hardware store to cut 5 panes of glass to your size you want and silicone them together. There is a technique just research a little.

8. OP
    OP
    P

I plan on it :) I wouldn't even know where to look for a tank like that other than to have it custom built. I have all the tools to do so, the only cost to me would be plexiglass, single tube of silicone, and acrylic cement. It'd be a quick project, the glues drying will take longer than anything else.

The only one gallon tanks I can seem to find at reasonable prices are either cubes or bowls and there is a lot of wasted height in the case of RCS. It's the same story with many different species, like arowana, whom need more swimming area than depth.

9. Culprit

I would just as well do 2 gallons. Almost the same size, and then you can have 10 to 15 shrimp! You will have to put some kind of filter into it so think of that while building.

10. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz Well Known Member Member

I think the limit on size is really going to be based on how you plan to filter it. Like how you're going to find a small enough filter. Under a gallon it starts to get too difficult.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  11. Culprit

I have a huge LFS about 40 minutes away, and they have TINY shrimp tanks. They are built by someone and are all shapes and sizes and I would say most of them are a gallon or less. They have TINY hob filters. I mean, like 2 inches width and 2 inches long. Its crazy!!

They were like these. Mini Aquarium Power Filter Waterfall Water Pump Fish Tank Hang On Slim Filter | eBay Of course, with the tiny amount of aquasoil and small amounts of driftwood and plants, plus making the tanks it probably cost them like $30 for the whole thing, but they were selling them for $200 to $300 dollars. They did have sakura grade RCS in there but still, there were like 5 shrimp per tank! Makes me want to start a buisness selling homemade nano tanks!

12. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

I think shrimp prefer to be in groups, and the bigger the better, so just get a 2 gallon and have a shrimp colony! They can be very pretty with tons of live plants:)

13. NeoShrimpist

NeoShrimpist New Member Member

My biggest shrimp tank was a 1.5 gallon bowl with a ton of frogbit and milfoil. It held several young neocaridina shrimplets. . They flourished in there for a bit, but moved them to a 5 gallon, because I don't have a heater big enough for such a small tank. I guess heater size is one of the things you have to think about when getting a nano tank, not just filtration. So I use at least a 5 gallon mostly. It can support a growing colony better than a nano.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice