Absolute Devastation: entire tank dead...

1. mercurybebe Member Member

I cant even believe I am about to write out this awful event that has happened. All of the fish in my 35g tank are dead or dying and I am so sad and confused. :'(

Last week I lost my beloved fish Sunburst (my avatar), who was my first fish ever...she was only 7 months old, but she's been ill off and on for a while so it wasn't entirely unexpected, but I still cried like a fool. :'(

3 days later I noticed that 2 mid-size platy fry were stuck to the filter. It seemed very odd, but I checked everything and nothing was wrong. Did water change and even checked flow on filter...all ok.

I came back Thursday night to 11 dead fry!!! I freaked out and immediately did another water change. I had combined my fry-only tank with my female livebearers into the new 35g tank a few weeks ago but they had been doing fine.

The other fish seemed ok...everyone was eating, etc. but I did notice that a cat had his face in the back of the tank trying to drink the water. I thought that maybe the cat had put his hand in and somehow nicked the babies? They all swarm towards ANY movement at the top of the tank. :-\

I duct-taped every possible opening, even above the filter water and went to bed.

Saturday morning it was total carnage. All but 5 of my fry were still alive....there were about 20 bodies all over the tank. Worse yet, my remaining female platies all died and my lone female balloon belly, Charlotte (some may remember her fight with death over the summer) was looking pretty bad...it was a scene out of a nightmare, I can't even describe how I felt...:':)eek:;:barf:'(

My partner flushed the babies as I desperately tried to catch the few remaining fish to transfer to my 55g tank, my only other "tropical" tank that is up and running right now. We got down to the last 5 fish in the tank and my partner noticed a clearly sick one covered in salt and fuzz!

We had inspected the many, many bodies and no other fish had any signs of illness! But it looks like ICH with something else causing the white fuzz around their gills, etc. And now I realized that I had just infected my entire 55g with it!!!

I PANICKED and quickly turned the heat up to try and get the water warm enough to treat the ICH if that is what it is. I left the transferred fish in the 55g tank (none had any signs of disease on them) and left the few clearly diseased fish in the 35g. Oddly, the 3 cories that remained in the 35g seem fine and actually SPAWNED on Sunday morning!?!?!?! There are eggs all over the darn tank.

3 more fish died today and I am not holding out much hope for the last 2 in the 35g...the cories might be ok, but the ill platies are not doing good.

The fish in the 55g are okay so far (knocking on all wood in a 3,000 mile radius) with no deaths or signs of disease. The temp is at 80 and rising slowly. I added a 2nd heater to make sure I could get the temp up to 82 at least.

I dont know that anyone will have any advice as to what I should do, but please understand that I needed to share this horror and I am hoping that maybe someone has an idea of what....anything....I can do???

I *know* fish can come back from illness as my beloved betta at work is an eye short, but is fierce and stronger than ever after having all but one fin in the toilet if you will...

I am not sure if I should leave all the fish from the "infected" tank in the 55g for now, or move them back to the 35g right away? Should I just continue to treat BOTH tanks (and if so, how?) and then move them back once things are stable? I wont even dare to ask about the tons of Cory eggs....I can't imagine any of those will survive this mess.

I am sorry for the long post, I know you guys will understand...thank you...

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Mercury,

I'm so sorry about all your fish losses. :console: It's devastating to know and hear about all this. I wish I could help in some way. I don't have any good advice to give as I don't have much experience in the fishes you mentioned. But could you list down your water readings from the past days your fish have been dying? It could help other members a bit in some way. And also state some other symptoms you noticed before you lost your fish. It could really help explain what's going on and to prevent more fish losses. I noticed some symptoms you mentioned like the white fuzz that could possibly be ICH. Anyways, I'm sure other members will swing by soon to share their opinions and advice. I wish you and your fish all the best and all the others RIP. Good luck and please keep us updated.

3. ray_sj Member Member

Very sorry to hear about your fish losses! :(

For now, I think you have to assume your 55g is infected as well. I would closely watch for any disease symptoms in the 55g for a few weeks. If they show clear symptoms of a disease, then treat them with the appropriate medication.

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, Mercurybebe, I'm so sorry for your losses. I don't have a lot of experience in fish diseases and illnesses, but hopefully another member will be along shortly that can help you.

Once again, I'm so sorry. I know how much you loved your platies.

5. click Well Known Member Member

That's terrible. hugs:;group

6. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Hope i helped :)

7. misty spills Member Member

sorry to hear about your fish, i think along with tony g that it was something on your cats coat or on the fish nets or equipment you use, i once almost had my entire fish tank killed from contamination of equipment, but it more attacks there fins and gills when there is

at least your new corydoras with have alot of free space, good luck