Abscess, tumour or infection?

surajk

My Betta has a huge growing lump on his head. It started abt a month ago as a discoloured scale and it's grown into a lump. He is in a established 10g planted tank amo 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 0-5 ppm Gh-10.

He had mild fin rot for which I treated with a low level of aq salt for a month or so. That got him feeling better and his fins are regrowing. But this started as I ended the salt treatment (I dialed down the salt over 3 weeks)

I have catappa leaves in the tank. The temp is 26c (ambient is 30c). I have not dosed any antibiotics (hard to come by where I am).

What can I do to help? He is still perky, swimming and eating. He is an old fish, over 2 years old now.

He also has cloudiness in his eyes ( though he seems to see well enough) and what looks like some swelling.

See the photos. It's right on the top of his head, between his eyes.

Any advice would be much appreciated. He has had a good life, and I'm prepared to put him out of misery if this progresses and if he is suffering. But we are not there yet and I want to try and get him through this.

FoldedCheese

I'm not sure if the growth on his head is a tumor or abscess (I'm leaning towards tumor) but what I can say with certainty is that he has diamond eye. It's a condition where scales grow over the eyes of your betta and it is particularly common in dragon scales.

Upvote 0

surajk

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea about dragon scales. Poor boy, I had no idea he was a dragon Betta, or maybe he doesn't need to be to have this genetic trait. I'll figure out how to care for a blind Betta.

But that lump. It's growing every day, and there are days it seems flatter and days it seems huge, though it could just be my sucky eyes and the light. I'm going to hope it's an abscess and will eventually drain.. but I know it might not.

If it were an abscess, what could I do to help it drain and heal?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
otterblue
  • Question
Replies
Views
angelinac4
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant