Above Ground Pond

Discussion in 'Koi' started by Jessielee83, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jessielee83New MemberMember

Hey all. We just removed koi fish from dug out pond and made an above ground cinderblock one. My question is how do i keep it from freezing first of all so the fish are safe and second so it doesnt collapse the walls? Im in ohio so its touch and go of how cold or warm it is in those months. Thanks!

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I think it would still need to be dug below the frost line to avoid any freezing during the cold months. Unless you run a heater during those times but that could be very expensive.

3. Jessielee83New MemberMember

Hi thanks for reply. Ya i thought about running a heater. I also thought about leave either water pump and hose in completley or running bubblers. Im just not sure what size heater would work or if i should take the chance or move them into house

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I think your best bet would be moving them in the house during the cold months. I don't have a pond but i'm just thinking what i would do if i was in your shoes.

5. Jessielee83New MemberMember

Hmmm i was afraid of that lol. I will think on that and see what i can come up with. I have 110 gal tank but would have to see about getting it set up and if it would fit them all

6. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

How many would need to be rehomed and how big are they all. Any pics of the pond?

7. Jessielee83New MemberMember

There are 11 koi. Range from 4- 5 in to ptrob about 15 in. Let me see if i can figure out how to upload pic

Sry. I cant seem to get a pic. It is about 4wx11lx3d

Ok i figured it out. Here is a pic of finishing touches. 20190709_165156.jpg

20190709_165148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2019
  8. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

looks like the water level is around 20" deep. each cinder block is 8" high X 3 blocks = 24" = 2' deep minus about 4" that its not filled up to the top of the pond liner.

you could mound dirt around the cinder blocks, it'll help keep the water from pushing out, and provide some insulation.

koi and goldfish are just mutant carp. they are temperate and can survive freezing temps and heat. as long as the pond doesn't freeze into a solid block of ice they'll survive. you might have to use a water trough deicer from the livestock store to prevent the top from freezing and preventing O2 exchange at the water surface.

there are multiple koi ponds in TX, our summers get hot for 4 solid months and the koi do just fine.

the water hyacinth might need to be brought indoors though.

9. Jessielee83New MemberMember

There is also a solid base block on bottom that you cant see. So ya its not deep. I had thought about doing hay bales. Or like said earlier just doing deicer a heater running bubblers or putting water pump hose in water and running it just so the water is moving. Or if it comes down will see about moving into house. I should of just redid the dug out pond but i lile being able to stand there and have them come right to me and not a hole in the ground and it was 6 ft deep so couldnt do or clean it like i wanted

Also not sure about over wintering hyacinth. I hear its hard to keep alive indoors. But the rest of plants are now in pond. I have parrots feather water poppy lily pads. If i keep up all winter it should be ok to over winter those under water with fish right?

10. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

not sure how cold yall get, but informative test

not familiar with those plants.

11. pagodaValued MemberMember

In cold months get a soccer ball or two and float them in the water so that if the water does freeze on top the balls will keep moving around and leave two decent sized holes for air to get in and around the balls. Leave the balls in place til the weather warms up again and store them somewhere ready for the next autumn/winter

12. Jessielee83New MemberMember

I will watch that vid thanks for the info. From everything ive read as long as water doesnt freeze solid they can be over wintered. Lol so it goes full circle. Im sure i can find a way to keep some liquid my main thing is will any freezing push out the walls. They are all tied together with wood poles in tge blocks held in with filling block holes eith concrete and all the wood poles are tied together with being screwed to wood on top frame.

Its usually not too bad. We have had mild winters with barely an inch of snow and temps havnt dropped. But last yr we had our worst with the snow and that freezing week just like everyone else. So it differs

Ive never thought of that. I know in pools people use floating tubes under covers i think for tge main reason also so cover doesnt sink hmm will look into that more. Thanks for idea

We have also thought of building a sort of greenhouse tging to put over and around it. Like using pvc pipes and making a dome with thick plastic where it lets the heat and light in and keeps the snow and ice out of pond to help fight water from freezing with the snow. So lots of ideas but will any work haha

13. pagodaValued MemberMember

Soccer balls also serve as the perfect way to give your fish some extra exercise too :)

I used to watch my Koi nosing the balls all over the pond and when big enough the blighters would "kick" the ball with their tails out of the pond and sit there parping til I returned the ball to them

Multiple tennis balls are good too for keeping ice away....and giving the fish something to play with :)

14. Jessielee83New MemberMember

Lol weird little buggers sometimes arent they? I will for sure have to try that out!

15. pagodaValued MemberMember

Its a cheap and simple way to stop the pond from icing right over and since the balls move with the breezes or when played with by the fish they will always have access to oxygen no matter how cold the weather.....mine used to be fine in frozen weather, I used to watch them parping from indoors cos you could see their breath and with them moving the balls the areas of the pond that actually froze over were very small and the ice was weak and easy to break

16. Jessielee83New MemberMember

That was very informative. Thanks! I think ill look into stock heater and maybe use that and a few diff ideas like with the greenhouse, balls and see what all works best. Thanks alot!!

Thanks! Sounds like a plan. Again thats helping with the freezing over i just making sure it doesnt freeze enough to push out walls but with everything tied together i think with a few tgings that should be fine. And we will be filling cracks of blovks on outside as well so water doesnt get in there and freeze and thaw and cause probs there

17. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Does it get cold enough for rivers and lakes to freeze over and allow skating or ice-fishing? If it does, I would be concerned that a couple inches of ice would push against the top blocks and either force them apart or otherwise damage the wooden structure encircling them. If the blocks move at all...and the force exerted by water in an outward direction as it freezes over is amazing!...then would your liner become stressed against the sharp edges of any of the blocks? The liner won't be all that flexible in the cold; I'd be worried about it tearing or cracking.

Do people drive out onto the ice in the winter? If yes, I'd bet good money that your pond will be one solid block of ice. Don't forget, it's exposed on 5 sides to the weather; much different than an in-ground pond. A heater could keep some of it liquid; I've been toying with the idea of using one, but haven't actually tried it yet.

I love that pond idea, filtration and all...but if I did something like that I know that I would be draining it each fall and refilling in the spring. Mind you, I live about an hour north of Winterpeg, Manitoba, so...

Water Hyacinths won't survive outside; maybe you can bring them inside, but I also have read that they don't do well that way. Might be best to just consider them annuals and buy a few new ones each spring. My water lilies must be brought indoors and overwintered in the basement. If you set up a nice dark tub to put the pots into and keep them covered, they don't require any attention or care throughout the cold season and then bounce right back when you put them outside in the spring. If you want plants to overwinter outside, it might be best to get some native species that can survive freezing temps. I have some Arrowheads, Cat-tails and other assorted natives that stay outside all year, easily surviving my frozen-solid pond, and then re-appear each spring without any help from me.

18. Jessielee83New MemberMember

No it normally doesnt get to point where you can drive over the ice. One winter we had early spring like temps and weather and last winter was the worse with the negative 30s just like the whole country so that was a bad one. That was my concern as well with it pushing out but like stated before its all tied in together. If top pushes out the whole wall would to some degree. At this point i think we will keep it up and try a few ideas ive been given in earlier post and if looks like might be a prob move them to house and drain pond for winter. It will be cold and pain in butt but wont know until we try. Ya i usually end up using hyacinth as annual and getting more the fallowing yr. Ill keep in mind about the lillys. I think will be fine to over winter outside again as long as they dont freeze. Lol it all leads back to that. I think best bet is heater water movement and cover.

20190714_121948.jpg20190714_121835.jpg

19. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

That looks like a great set-up. :)

Everytime I put Hyacinth into my pond, that lovely tropical plant just floats there, staring at me, and I can practically hear it saying "Really? Have you looked at a map, moron?"

20. Jessielee83New MemberMember

Lol. Ya normally i buy 2 to 4 plants and by the end of summer ill be lucky to have any. This yr they took right off. I had them in a smaller seperate pond with the goldfish and it covered the whole thing. With the koi they like to eat the roots so they do t do very well. So we see how long they last