About trimming dwarf sag

Nickguy5467

i trimmed my dwarf sag once but now they just seem to have browing stubble like where i trimmed them and the leaves not healthy looking like before. is that normal? it doesnt sound normal to me, but im a noob.

PeteStevers

Nickguy5467 said:
i trimmed my dwarf sag once but now they just seem to have browing stubble like where i trimmed them and the leaves not healthy looking like before. is that normal? it doesnt sound normal to me, but im a noob.
Are you using any fertilizers?

Chanyi

How did you trim them? I think dwarf sag leaves are fixed, meaning they don't continuously grow.

Nickguy5467

PeteStevers said:
Are you using any fertilizers?
yeah im using the same exact method as before. though i did forgot to mention i moved the plants from their initial location. they didnt seem to get any better after that. but the trimming thing is still the same. browning what not. i use thrive+ and use organic potting soil as a substrate under sand. i use a finnex planted plus light but i dont use the 24 hour gimmick. i dose co2 daily even though it says i dont need to. co2 can only help plants right?(i tried some plants that needed co2 but failed so i just kept with co2 since i had it)

PeteStevers

Not sure. I've never tried dwarf sag before. Hopefully someone can help with this. No it doesn't sound normal to me either. Can't think of anything that would cause a healthy plant to deteriorate just because you trimmed it a bit.

Royan

Don't know why the growth would be stunted but a quick google search revealed that many other people have had the same problem. Given how fast it grows, you could cut the longer more mature leaves at the base and leave the new leaves but that's admittedly very tedious if you have a carpet.

faydout

I've got a bunch of dwarf and broadleaf sag that I had going in one tank. It was doing well, lots of growth, no CO2 anywhere. I even moved it around inside that tank, and kept getting good growth. In early June, I moved it from a 24" tank, into a 16" tank, and I've had nothing since then. It's still green, but I haven't had any growth from any of it, dwarf or broadleaf. I'm thinking I'm going to trash it all in the next few months and call the sag experiment done.

Nickguy5467

i just need a carpeting plant i wont kill, i tried hair grass. but i had that crappy fluval co2 kit so maybe t hat failed because it wasnt getting the co2 it needed
faydout said:
I've got a bunch of dwarf and broadleaf sag that I had going in one tank. It was doing well, lots of growth, no CO2 anywhere. I even moved it around inside that tank, and kept getting good growth. In early June, I moved it from a 24" tank, into a 16" tank, and I've had nothing since then. It's still green, but I haven't had any growth from any of it, dwarf or broadleaf. I'm thinking I'm going to trash it all in the next few months and call the sag experiment done.
hmm i cant see the base. guess i buried it too deep . could that be a cause? i would have to pull the plant up some. but i saw a video on youtube about trimming sag and all the guy did was cut the leaves in the middle so thats what i did.

PeteStevers

I would agree that you may have it planted too deep.

faydout

From what I understand, they should be fine as long as the crown of the rosette is above the substrate. Besides that, I have a broadleaf in one of the corners of my tank that the Keyhole cichlids like to make pits in, so the big node growing under the sag gets exposed sometimes.

Nickguy5467

oh. well they are pretty well rooted some. seems scary to raise them or in doing so i dont want to pull up soil from under my sand into my tank

BettasAreSuperior

well, Your plants need just the right amount of phosphate to thrive. If the phosphate is low, plants grow poorly and have small shoots. On the other hand, too much phosphate leads to brown spots. It can also cause excessive algae growth, which leads to a lot of other issues in your tank.

Top Bottom