about to upgrade my tank!! 50 Gallon Tank

1. dreamseller Member Member

so i have a 29g tank now and i just bought a 50g tank and im super excited about stocking it :) ...i am putting all my fish that are in my 29 to the 50 and wanted to know if this sounds like a good stocking list:

8 dwarf neon rainbows
    4 boesemani rainbows
    1 pearl gourami
    5 albino corys
    3 virginiae corys
    1 albino brislenose pleco
    1 angel fish

is this a good stocking list or am i overstocked? i did also buy a canister filter for up to a 75 gallon tank just to be sure :)

and i know its a big gamble putting an angel with the gourami but im buying a baby one from a breeder and putting it in last and hopefully it will work out if not i'll set up the 29g for it lol

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Looks good. I would only do one school of corys - 8 strong. I did the same thing in my 45 with albino corys and an albino bn pleco - love'em against the black sand. Looks to me like you've got an abundance of upper level swimmers and could use some fish that will hang middle/low in the tank. A pair of GBR or bolivian rams would make nice bottom centerpiece fish, and I would switch out the bosemanis for a school of cherry or gold barbs. I think that would balance the tank better, but that's just my opinion.

3. dreamseller Member Member

i dont really like barbs and i just love rainbows so much so i im pretty set on having them

i really wanted to have a golden ram but i didnt know if it would work well now i want one lol maybe ill do that instead of the virginiae corys then

but i know what you mean albinos look amazing on black substrate ...gosh im so excited im setting it all up tomorrow!!!

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Are you doing a black background as well?

5. dreamseller Member Member

yes i am!!!
    its going to hopefully go great tomorrow ive never switched a tank i just hope i dont lose my cycle :S

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

As long as you keep the filter media wet, you'll be fine. Since this is your first time, the process can take a few hours, depending. Are you switching the substrate over too? Adding more to it? I would suggest using seaview to attach the background to the glass. Makes a world of difference over tape. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18280

The black/black is BEAUTIFUL. This is my 45 with 2 pearls, 2 GBRs, 7 gold barbs, 9 dwarf neon rainbows, 8 albino corys and an albino bn.

Attached Files:

7. dreamseller Member Member

thats a beautiful tank ! thats kinda the look im going for but more drift wood
    what kind of plants are in there?

i know its going to take forever i feel bad about stressing the fish but im giving them a bigger better home now

and im switching over all my black gravel from my old tank and adding in more too

the only problem i am facing is im changing my filter from a power filter to canster filter im seeding the canisters media but does that effectively work??? or is there a better way to make sure i keep my cycle?

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you.

All you'd need to do is put a piece of the old HOB media in the canister. The established colony will rapidly multiply and take hold in the new media. Do that, run both filters on the 55 for a week or two and you'll be good to move the hob back to the 29 to quarantine the new fsh you'll be getting.

Using old media is the best/fastest/easiest way to start a new tank - you skip the cycle process.

9. dreamseller Member Member

thank you ive been quite confused to how i should go about doing this

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sure it'll work out fine for you.

My advice is to wash the new gravel ahead of time (you only make that mistake once :) ) and was it well. Put a few inches of water in the 50 and the new gravel. Move the fish to a holding container and syphon out the water while doing a good vac of the gravel. Then just scoop it out with your net and put it in the 50. Fill it up, add your condtioners and start the filters. Wait 20 minutes and put the fish in. If you do regular large water changes, then your tank water will be very close to the tap water, in which case you don't have to save much of the old water and don't have to worry about shocking the fish. If you do 20% once a month, your tank water chemistry could be different than the tap, in which case you should transfer a good portion of the water from the 29 to the 50. It's best to test your tank and tap ahead of time so you know how careful you need to be when reintroducing the fish.

11. dreamseller Member Member

hahah so i changed my tank over and it only took me 2 hours ( the tap in the basement where my room and tank is cant fit the water bucket so a lot of that time was running up and down the stairs with buckets of water not fun !)

my fish look really happy mostly the rainbows and corys i think they love the extra swimming space! plus the rainbows are laying eggs already lol

how long should i wait to add any fish?

oh yeah here is my new tank!

Attached Files:

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Good job! Yeah, buckets aren't fun. Have you heard of a python?

I would wait 2 weeks to add more fish.

Is that a whisper 40i? What are you using for filtration?

13. dreamseller Member Member

ok thanks
    and no i havent what is it?

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Your new tank looks fabulous, Dreamseller! Wonderful aquascaping!

16. dreamseller Member Member

no i just took that pic before i ws finished setting up the canister filter i have them both running like you suggested :)

and thankyou bolivianbaby ...but i havent even finished aquascaping it lol i ran out of money after everything i bought to run the tank

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Oh good :)

18. dreamseller Member Member

ya i just got a little photo happy to early lol

19. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Neat tank! I like your driftwood a lot. Be careful not to bury the rhizomes of your java fern, you can attach those to your rocks or driftwood if you'd like. :)

20. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

We don't mind you getting photo happy AT ALL! We enjoy the pics:;rocker