About to move my reef

1. Semiaquatic

Semiaquatic Valued Member Member

I broke up with my girlfriend because I was really in love with my saltwater tank. Haha not really but I'm moving and I'm getting ready to drain it, pack it up, and move it about 15 min away. Any tips on how to keep my live rock with coral on it from falling over and hurting the coral? It's a 29 gallon tank so it's not a huge undertaking, I just want to be sure that I do it right and all of my tank inhabitants survive the move

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

I would put the rock with coral in a tub and keep it circulating once you get to the new place and for that matter all the rock in tubs to keep it "live" while you set up the tank.
    You also might want to mix up your saltwater at the new place so that once you get the tank there, you are ready to get everything back up and running. If I were doing it, I would probably also have a bottle of stability on hand (the seachem live bacteria) to add.
    Good luck and hope you aren't really breaking up!

3. OP
    OP
    Semiaquatic

So it went pretty well. I probably could have done better but I got some foam and coolers and set the pieces of live rock with coral on them on top of the foam to keep them from moving, then covered with water. I'm letting everything settle and filter for a little while but I will check the salinity tonight before I fill the tank the rest of the way up. I'm mixing up new saltwater. I was wondering if I need to do a water change tonight or tomorrow since I stirred so much stuff up? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436154469.973020.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Semiaquatic

Salinity was 1.022 when I checked so I raised it to 1.024 when I finished filling the tank up. Fingers crossed that there are no casualties

5. OP
    OP
    Semiaquatic

After one full day back up and running, it looks great! Almost better than ever. That's strange since everything got stirred up, but some corals got knocked off the rocks and I put them in new places so it looks great! Will post new pics in the morning