about the ceramic rings....

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by tofu, Aug 1, 2014.

1. t

tofu New Member Member

does the position of the ceramic rings matter? e.g placed with hole facing up etc. Because i have an urge to place them standing up so they wont roll away easily.

Also, with ceramic rings as the biofilter, can i replace the filter wool in my OHF with a new, clean one without worrying that it'll disrupt the BB?
    thx.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

It really doesn't matter how the bio rings are placed (standing up or on the sides) as long as it is all placed where it will remain the cleanest. Example: For hang on back (hob) type of filtration, the bio media should be placed on top.

How long has your aquarium been set up and running for? If it has been several months, go ahead an replace the filter wool for fresh. If you want to use caution, you can remove the wool and place it in a filter media bag and hide in the tank until the new wool has been in place for a bit.

Personally, with my aquarium being very well established, set up for years, I do not depend on Filter pads/wool/floss to house beneficial bacteria as I have other media for this purpose.

Keep an eye on your water parameters to be on the safe side.

Ken

3. GgAcE

GgAcE Valued Member Member

Depending on your filtration, the "positioning" (I.E. standing, side, ete..) is not as important as the location. I utilize mostly canister filtration on 2 out of my 3 larger tanks. The rings are positioned in my baskets/buckets closest to the top of my canisters. The reason I do it this way is my canisters feed from the bottom up meaning my bottom basket is hit first (media to stop larger debris from clogging the next few chambers) where in my top basket is hit last.

I have yet to see a more proven method of placement either way... I just feel the more filtered water & such, the healthier the bacteria colony is that is being pushed into the tank. I assume that if I had the rings placed first, large amounts of the traveling bacteria will be stopped by the rest of the filtration.

Long story short (sorry....) they can be positioned any which way. Just insure that they are in a place where plenty of water is always hitting them.

4. OP
    OP
    t

tofu New Member Member

Thanks for the info. Last question: My drip tray has large holes so the water isn't flowing down evenly everytime, so some of my ceramic rings might once in a while having no water flowing down on them for a second or two. Would that be alright for the BB or would they die from the second they are not having water flowing on them?

thanks again.

5. K

Kareen Valued Member Member

you can also use small Peaces of LavaRock it's a good bio-Media

6. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

They won't die from not having water on them for one second. As long as they stay damp and then get wet again they will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice