? about python & conditioning water

rosalie68
so I just bought a python and as I was filling my new tank for the first time I wondered, how do I add water conditioners if the water is just going directly into the tank? this time I just put it in the tank b/c there isn't any fish yet. normally I used a bucket and put the conditioner in there every time and then filled the tank. but its a 3 gallon bucket and I have a 220 gal tank now. I have to climb a ladder to fill this way. is there a way to do it with the python? they say put the conditioner in the stream but I don't get it. can I add it to the tank during filling? please any advice would be appreciated.
kim

sirdarksol
Add the conditioner directly to the tank. You want to overdose the conditioner. I add somewhere around twice as much as I would for the amount of water I'm putting back. Some people say to dose for the entire tank. I also like spreading the addition of the conditioner out over the time that the water is being added. I'll put a little portion of the conditioner in every minute or so.
Because the dechlorinators work instantly, your fish won't be exposed to chlorine/chloramine for long, if at all.

rosalie68
thank u so much! I'm glad that I won't have to go back to buckets!!
kim

Amnagrla
that was my question... how to you determine the right temp. and how do you put in conditioner?

Butterfly
I don't use a python but a water hose with a fitting for my kitchen sink. Since all my tanks are kept at the same temp I adjust the water temp at the sink then add the dechlor right under the stream of water going back into the tank.
I don't think it will hurt anything is the water temp going into the tank is a couple of degrees warmer but I'm real careful to make sure it's not colder.
Carol

Amnagrla
Good to know!!

sirdarksol
I turn the water on, go back to the tank, and put my hand into the stream (which is coming out under the water). As long as I can't tell the difference, I know I'm good.

Latest threads

Top Bottom