About Garlic

mrsmuffin
I have read about a lot of you using garlic for various things. I can't ever find "garlic guard" (or vita-whatever for that matter.) Can I use garlic, like what I cook with, to soak freeze-dried blood worms for my betta-baby? What about my other fish, would they like it, too??

Dino
We use the juice off of minced garlic that you find in the grocery store.
Just about every fish I have fed garlic to has enjoyed it.

Martinismommy
How much and how often do you give it to them? Doesn't it make the water smell??

mrsmuffin
We use the juice off of minced garlic that you find in the grocery store.

That's exactly what I was thinking about using. Thanks! I am sure that Billy Voltaire is going to enjoy his blood worms tonight more that way instead of soaked in tank water.

COBettaCouple
thatfishplace or are where we usually order our stuff.

What Dino suggested is good for them and I'm not sure if you can give them too much, but I'll usually put a drop or 2 per gallon in.

sirdarksol
It would be possible to overdose the tank, but it would take a lot (not sure exactly how much, though.) Eventually, the acid in the garlic and the extra plant matter would overload things. I would think it would be like adding a whole jar's worth of juice to a 20g, though.

Shawnie
I can never find garlic guard...other than online...but I just use the juices as dino said because of emergencys I seem to face daily, dave also said go for it...so once a day with their pellets, I use the juices ...for all my fish not just my betta's...they love it

sirdarksol
Here's a thought:
If the juice is good for them, why not the plant matter?
Dice it up really fine (small enough that the fish could eat it) and then parboil it to minimize the acid production when it's eaten. Strain it out with a fine kitchen strainer or cheesecloth, and feed it to the fish. It's got tons of fiber and vitamins in it.
Has anyone tried this? (For that matter, has anyone tried feeding raw garlic? Maybe fish don't have as big of an issue with the spicy stuff as we do)

Martinismommy
Ok, this is great but....Nobody answered my question...Does it make the water smell?

I know I'm a pain but I just need the answer before I add yet another thing to the kids tanks..

sirdarksol
I'm not positive, but I don't think it would. The stuff out of the minced garlic jars doesn't actually smell all that strong. Aside from that, the bacteria in the tank will break it down pretty quickly, turning any smell into normal tank smell.

Shawnie
no the amounts you feed do not make the water nasty...I do feed the fresh in the jar garlic..cut up to the sizes of the fishes eyes ..if that makes sense LOL ...it usually takes the bettas longer to realize its good compared to my oscars or mollies etc...I don't boil it tho...I take it right from the jar...

Martinismommy
no the amounts you feed do not make the water nasty...I do feed the fresh in the jar garlic..cut up to the sizes of the fishes eyes ..if that makes sense LOL ...it usually takes the bettas longer to realize its good compared to my oscars or mollies etc...I don't boil it tho...I take it right from the jar...

Ewwww...I'm not sure I like this idea lol..What are the health benefits?

Shawnie
its a super healing herb.. Garlic acts as antibiotic, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiviral, antiprotozal and anti-cancer ..of course that's this week, who knows what they will say next week

Martinismommy
OK fine...I'll start the kids on it tomorrow! We use Garlic to control fleas in the dogs...(not that I have ever had fleas) It seems to be a repellent of sorts...I wonder if I eat it tonight if Steve will leave me alone lolololol

sirdarksol
Shawnie, I wasn't referring to the jarred stuff. I buy fresh garlic. That is, garlic in a form that, if I leave it too long, will start growing shoots and roots. The reason I was wondering about boiling is that fresh garlic has a lot more kick to it than pre-minced garlic (the reason I get the fresh stuff).

Shawnie
ahhh okies sir...I'm too lazy to buy the fresh stuff..and the jar stuff has all the juices I need to soak fish pellets in ..so I kinda kill two birds with one stone LOL ...I can see boiling the fresh tho...

Dino
I have feed minced garlic to my fish with no problems what so ever.

Shawnie
mine think they are having a nice italian meal

mrsmuffin
So last night I soaked some blood worms to feed for dinner. Billy Voltaire the betta boy loved them, the guppies loved them, the plattys however seemed like they didn't like them so much. They did get eaten after a few minutes, but there was a lot of spitting them out going on at first...

COBettaCouple
I've never noticed the garlic guard making the tanks smell any. I might have to try feeding them all some tiny pieces of organic garlic sometime.

rileyrk190
Ok, this is great but....Nobody answered my question...Does it make the water smell?

I know I'm a pain but I just need the answer before I add yet another thing to the kids tanks..

Doesnt make the water smell, but I had to double zip-lock the bottle!! yuck! I learned the hard way in a dorm room the potency of garlic. Luckily I had a forgiving roommate.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
hollie1505
Replies
Views
BeavisMom62
Replies
Views
newfishmama
Replies
Views