About freshwater aquarium salt usage

Nickguy5467

i recently started using api aquarium salt for my freshwater tank. i had it for a while but never used it til recently .

i read the box etc. from what i can tell its helpful? and ive used it after each water change. so i guess thats 3 weeks now . anyone confirm its a good thing? lol.

i guess my only worry would be salinity levels? but previous salt is taken out with each wc right? even though i put more right back in. i feel like there is something i should be carefull about that im missing.

box says like a tablespoon per 5 gallons. mine is 30(29) but i just pretty much eyeball it. thanks for the future info

picture: i wish my phone didnt over expose any source of light T_T

Attachments

• IMG_20220925_161207105.jpg
    IMG_20220925_161207105.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 7

John58ford

Well as far as I know, api aquarium salt is pure sodium chloride. No other minerals etc, just salt.

Fresh water typically has no salt, brackish water does have some salt. I do not use pure sodium chloride, but I do use sodium bicarbonate in one of my buffer mixes and on those tanks I use a refractometer to watch for salt creep by measuring specific gravity. I would probably do the same on a tank I'm using any sodium derivative, while also making sure that I'm only adding what I actively take out at water changes.

As far as benefit; I know there's trace sodium in allot of fertilizers, salt is often considered a good short term treatment for slime coat and wound treatment, and that many live bearing species actually tolerate or thrive in water all the way up to brackish levels (mollies can be converted to full saltwater but that's a different thread for sure). I don't really know much more benefit personally. On the negative, it can impair osmoregulation of most freshwater fish and several invertebrates we like to keep in the hobby find it lethal even in small doses, as do several scaleless fish.

I guess do what you need to do, but be careful with sodium products. Always measure when you add and remove from a sodium balanced tank.

MacZ

On the negative, it can impair osmoregulation of most freshwater fish and several invertebrates we like to keep in the hobby find it lethal even in small doses, as do several scaleless fish.
Osmoregulation is the keyword.
Salt can be used as a immune stimulant and help osmoregulation in hardwater fish (most rainbowfish, rift lake cichlids, livebearers), just as humic substances are used for softwater fish.
In the picture above I see only softwater species. For them only short term baths or dosing in case of a disease or parasites are ok. Longterm use is bad for their osmoregulation.
Also a longterm use can breed resitant strains of certain bacteria you don't want to be resistant, as then you have to use harder and harder meds in case something goes wrong.

So overall: I see no benefit in using it regularly on the tank in question.

GlennO

Agreed, I don't see salt being of any benefit to those fish (or the plants).

ChrissFishes01

Agreed with above. I don't believe salt should be used regularly in most tanks.

Salt can, however, be a near-miracle medication when used correctly. Definitely good to keep around for treatments in QT tanks.

Nickguy5467

with all of your responses to this. i have no idea why its saying its so beneficial

maybe one of those things they say you need but dont. like filter pads? :p guess ill stop using it. no reason to listen to corporate stooges over friendly fish vets >.>

IMG_20221006_055344648.jpg
IMG_20221006_055409004.jpg
thumb_but-its-got-electrolytes-nerator-net-but-its-got-electrolytes-51393859.png

MasterPython

What is your tap water like in terms of PH and hardness? Some coastal places have nearly pure tap water with negligible hardness and minerals and adding some salt might be a good thing.

MacZ

What is your tap water like in terms of PH and hardness? Some coastal places have nearly pure tap water with negligible hardness and minerals and adding some salt might be a good thing.
Not with fish that are adapted by nature to what comes close to distilled water.

A201

Salt is said to promote a healthy slimecoat. That being said, all my fish have healthy slimecoats and I've never used salt. Lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oldsalt777
Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views