About freeze dried food...

Ebreus

How long should I allow freeze dried blood worm to soak for before feeding it to my guppies?

MacZ

5-15min.

Ebreus

Thanks. First time I fed them freeze dried I'd let it soak for about five to seven minutes and was a little worried about them when they were eating. They usually get flakes ground into bite sized bits. Watching them eat something not bite sized was interesting.

kallililly1973

5-10 minutes. A better option would be frozen bloodworms ( I use all Omega One frozen foods ). Just take the small container your soaking the freeze dried in and get a little tank water and put a cube of frozen in it till it thaws then feed with a skewer or toothpick they will appreciate the frozen much more honestly.

Ebreus

5-10 minutes. A better option would be frozen bloodworms ( I use all Omega One frozen foods ). Just take the small container your soaking the freeze dried in and get a little tank water and put a cube of frozen in it till it thaws then feed with a skewer or toothpick they will appreciate the frozen much more honestly.
I think I may try that. How do judge how much to feed when using a skewer? I'm working off the notion that they should have about two minutes of feeding a day.

kallililly1973

I think I may try that. How do judge how much to feed when using a skewer? I'm working off the notion that they should have about two minutes of feeding a day.
What size tank and how many fish are you feeding? I feed 7 tanks so I usually do 2-3 frozen cubes of food. If your only feeding a few fish you can cut a small chunk off and thaw it in your container of water and refreeze the rest. I just use the skewer to push it into the tank from what I use to thaw the food which is a tiny 2X2" tupperware container.

Ebreus

What size tank and how many fish are you feeding? I feed 7 tanks so I usually do 2-3 frozen cubes of food. If your only feeding a few fish you can cut a small chunk off and thaw it in your container of water and refreeze the rest. I just use the skewer to push it into the tank from what I use to thaw the food which is a tiny 2X2" tupperware container.
Currently four guppies. I intend to get some more but I want to introduce shrimp to the tank first... and the plants are being slow about growing enough to provide good cover for them.
The tank is 50 gallons.

kallililly1973

Currently four guppies. I intend to get some more but I want to introduce shrimp to the tank first... and the plants are being slow about growing enough to provide good cover for them.
The tank is 50 gallons.
Yes I would definitely start with just a little corner cut off a cube of the frozen food thaw it then see how they do and then you can guage it that way. I've had great luck with all the Omega frozen foods. Daphnia, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp, Super Carnivore. They will eat all of it. Do you feed your plants ferts. as well? Do you have a pic of your tank? What else are you planning on stocking in it?

Ebreus

Yes I would definitely start with just a little corner cut off a cube of the frozen food thaw it then see how they do and then you can guage it that way. I've had great luck with all the Omega frozen foods. Daphnia, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp, Super Carnivore. They will eat all of it. Do you feed your plants ferts. as well? Do you have a pic of your tank? What else are you planning on stocking in it?
I haven't gotten any fertilizers yet, going to be working on that.
Here's my thread showing recent pics of my tank: A look at my 50 gallon | Freshwater Aquarium Builds 444305

kallililly1973

I haven't gotten any fertilizers yet, going to be working on that.
Here's my thread showing recent pics of my tank: A look at my 50 gallon | Freshwater Aquarium Builds 444305
Wow! Tank looks great nice job.. might I suggest a good all in one fert for your tank that myself and many others have had good luck with . Nilog Thrive. That’s what I use but others use Nilog Thrive C ... and if your planning on adding shrimp they also make Nilog Thrive S although Nilog claims all their thrive is invertebrates safe.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Idkitsathrowaway
Replies
Views
hrrenee
Replies
Views
CrayfishAreAwesome
  • Question