about Biocube 29 for freshwater

1. qquake2k Initiate Member

I'm thinking about getting a Coralife Biocube 29 and using it for freshwater. Freshwater because I've never done saltwater, and have no desire to. I love the size and design of the Biocube. But I have some questions.

1. What are the fans in the lid for? To cool the lights or the water?

2. I'd like to use my Fluval 206 canister filter with it, but with the design of the wet/dry compartment in the Biocube, I don't see how it can be done. Any insights?

3. Where would I put the heater? I didn't see any cutouts or notches for the power cord.

2. Matt B Well Known Member Member

I have a 29gallon biocube setup for fw, the fans are to dissipate heat from the lighting.

I suppose you could plumb the inlet into the first compartment and then the outlet of the can to the outlet bulkhead on the cube, I would just use the integral sump.

I have my heater in the first sump compartment (inlet) works fine. There are numerous notches around the sump for cords.

On a side note you will probably want to change out the bulbs, the one I got came with 1X actinic and 1X 10000k. I am just running one 6500K.

3. qquake2k Initiate Member

So you're using the stock filtration in your Biocube?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've never had this model but I have had a similar one.
    In my experience the compartment at the back doesn't get enough flow for the filtration to work well & takes up valuable swimming space.
    The overall volume the company gives includes that unusable space so of your 29 gallons you've lost at least a couple even before you've added substrate etc.
    The lighting tubes also don't last that long & are expensive to replace.
    I would save your money & get a standard rectangular tank & set it up the way you want to.

5. Matt B Well Known Member Member

I changed the return pump from the 260 gph or whatever it was it came with for a 80 gph (dwarf puffer tank), ditched the bioballs for ceramic and added more floss under the filter pad for better mechanical filtration, the stock cartridge doesn't seem that effective to me so I just used the frame and laid new poly pad in it when it wore out.