Question about a 5gallon aquarium

angel_scout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI sorry to bother anyone with my questions lol... is there any small fish (like a pepperd cory) be put in with a dwarf puffer? in a 5 gallon tank? Or would you need a bigger tank?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No need to apologize for questions! I don't think you could add anything with the dwarf puffer, but that's based on what ive read, not actual experience.

rae64

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From what I have heard, DP' pretty much rip anything in their tank to shreads.

Prince Powder

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I recall correctly DP's are highly territorial. Much like male bettas if you mix two males they will fight to the death. You can sometimes get away with a male/female pair providing there are tons of hiding spots, but you would need at least a 10 gallon to do that. I believe that DP's require 5 gallons per fish so in your tank only one would be recommended.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
angel_scout said:
Thanks for the info. What are some easy to care for live plants? That aren't to expensive?
I'd start a new thread in the plant section.

I can't help you with plants.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Prince Powder said:
If I recall correctly DP's are highly territorial. Much like male bettas if you mix two males they will fight to the death. You can sometimes get away with a male/female pair providing there are tons of hiding spots, but you would need at least a 10 gallon to do that. I believe that DP's require 5 gallons per fish so in your tank only one would be recommended.
I thought that puffers do fine with other puffers... 5 gallons per fish, no non-puffer tankmates, but they do okay with each other as long as the tank is heavily planted/decorated. (What I have read, no personal experience)

New Threads