About 20 Fish To Add?

1. Thlorian

Thlorian New Member Member

Hello all...I have a 55 gallon tank that has been running for about five years now. Most of the fish that I had for these five years have slowly passed away over the course of the six months or so. Basically had some Tiger Barbs, Cories, and Gourami's. I am down to two tiger barbs, a gold gourami, and two cories. I am taking a water sample in to my local Fish Hobby Store (OUTSTANDING STORE) tomorrow just to make sure all is good b4 I buy any fish but wanted to ask your opinions please re adding the following to this tank - all are small in size:

5-6 Albino Corys
    3 Angel Fish
    1 Bala Shark
    1 Bristlenos Pleco
    3 Chinese Algae Eaters
    3 Nierite Snails
    3-4 Gold Panda Mollies
    3-4 Harequin Rasboras

Thank you!

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

3. A

Acara New Member Member

A few issues stick out to me, someone correct me if I’m wrong on anything.

- Bala sharks get way too big for a 55g
    - I believe Chinese algae eaters do as well?
    - your tiger barbs should be in a school of at least 6 and are known fin nippers so will likely pester your angelfish
    - I personally wouldn’t put 3 angels in a 55g. 2 tops.
    - the rasboras should be in a larger school

I also think youll be overstocked with all these fish in a 55

4. OP
    OP
    Thlorian

Ok thanks! So I could transfer the bala and the chinese a.e.'s to another tank once they get larger (right now they r smaller than the size of my pinky finger). Will go with just two angles. The tiger barbs I have right now are sadly on their last legs. They have been with me for a long time! Maybe 6-8 on the rasboras....

Would also cut the corys from 6 to 3...S0 I would have about 20 total in a 55 gallon....

5. A

Acara New Member Member

Cories should also be kept in schools of 6+ of their own type. I’m hoping someone with more experience can weigh in on this stocking plan. Good luck!

6. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

A cycled tank normally only holds enough bacteria to process the amount of ammonia being provided. More ammonia means more food thus more bacteria.

As your stock died off so did some of the bacteria. I feel sure if you try to fully re-stock this tank all at once you will experience a mini -cycle meaning an ammonia spike and it could very well kill your original remaining fish and possibly some of the new ones.

It would be much better to add a few at a time to allow the cycle (bacteria) to catch up with the extra ammonia the extra fish will be adding.

7. OP
    OP
    Thlorian

Ok thank you...I will just add a few this weekend ...perhaps half or less...then go from there...thanks again!

8. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

You are very welcome.

You said you were taking water to the store to be tested. I really recommend you get an API Master Freshwater test kit. With it you can know instantly if you have spikes in your perimeters. Waiting to take the water for testing could be too late.

The kit can be bought for about $25.00 or so but will last for a very long time. I am still using the one I bought well over 2 years ago.

9. OP
    OP
    Thlorian

Ok will do thanks again!

10. OP
    OP
    Thlorian

UPDATE: Ammonia and Nitrite levels were very good...but Nitrate levels were very high so time for some larger weekly water changes for about a month until this number can be brought down ( I admittedly have always been bad re my water changes so that needs to simply change now as I will make it a for-sure weekly thing along with weekly testing every Saturday). From the links on this site, the advice above, and advice given to me at my LFHS, I am in MUCH better knowledge of the nitrogen cycle so thank you! And also will be patient in adding fish once my tank is ready....1-2 per every 1-2 weeks, then test the tank and if good, add another 1-2 fish over 1-2 weeks...rinse, repeat, move on. Thanks again mattgirl re I purchased that master kit from Amazon at a good price!

11. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

And Acara was spot on with his advice:

Baka shark and Chinese get too big, corys in a school of 6 or more. The rasporas as well although 8-10 would be cool in a 55.

I’m not a tiger barb fan so if you think yours are on their last leg, I wouldn’t increase the school size although they may be nippy towards the angels. I would monitor.

And, IMO, 2 angels would be fine.

If it was my tank I would move the tiger barbs but like I said, not a fan.

And adding slow was great advice.

My experience is the rasporas are the least hardy of your choices so I would add them last.

I would add the mollies first, corys second, Angels next, pleco, then the rasporas.

And good luck.