Abei puffer with cichlids?

1. AnthonySharpe Member Member

I was just wondering if I could add any cichlids to my 60 gallon abei puffer tank, or would it be a bloodbath? I was wondering if there was a fish aggressive enough to defend it's self against a very aggressive abei puffer. The tank has very good water parameters, and has two seperate filters, both are rated for 70 gallons each. Thanks

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't. Any cichlid that would be big enough to defend itself would be big enough to do damage to the puffer. Abei are best kept by themselves.

3. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

There are many cichlids that would be quite able to defend themselves, but none that I will put into a sixty gallon tank.
    As you know, your puffer is unlikely to win a Mr. Congeniality award anytime soon, so perhaps should be kept as a specimen.
    He might like the company of snails.--------rick

4. AnthonySharpe Member Member

Well is there anything that isn't a cichlid that could work? I just want to make sure, I do apologize for asking.

5. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

Puffers generally prefer to be in a species only tank. They can tolerate some bottom feeding fish, but will either be extremely aggressive to other fish or go into hiding and possibly die due to stress.

As large as this guy can get, you could possibly try another Abei Puffer, but make sure you have secondary plans if they will not get along.

This link was offered by another member of the forum, I am posting just the information about the Abei for you. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information available about this particular puffer.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_abei/