AAAKKKKK I dont know what to do!!!

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by Aquagirl1978, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

I am 100% ready to breed my bettas a beautiful purple and red male halfmoon and an exceptional teal blue and black crowntail female. My male was building bubble nests one after another until today when i cleaned his tank. My female is very heavy with eggs shes barred and her ovipositor is highly visible. Shes swimming head down and she is within the males view, but alas he will not build another nest now. I think i made him mad. He has the floating leaves made for breeding tanks and there are plenty of plants for her to hide. The water temp is 80 degrees and the ph level is 6.5. Im at a loss because i figured he would have restarted his work by now espwcially since she is now within view. Any suggestions. I tried breeding about seven years ago with another pair and she was the non receptive one.

2. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Sorry, I don't know anything about breeding bettas. Until someone comes along who does, here's a some reading you can do:
    Betta Breeding

Good luck!

3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I don't know anything about it either, just want to say welcome to the forum, I hope yu enjoy!

4. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Mind if I ask what kind of breeding set-up your using?
    Also how did you condition your pair?

:)

5. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore........

One thing to consider is just because you are 100% ready to breed Bettas does not mean the Betta's are 100% ready to breed......There is a lot involved in getting a pair to spawn.....

As Red asked above, how have you conditioned the pair? What is your spawn set up? Betta's will not spawn in conditions they know fry won't thrive in...It's just Mother nature doing her job.....

If you can share more details I may be able to help.....

One more question..Why are you breeding a Crowntail to a Halfmoon?

6. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

MM I was wondering the same thing. HM + Crowntail ? What?

7. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Answer to some questions

I have a ten gallon tank with no gravel and floating plants from the pet store, (ferns) I also purchased what the woman at the store called a "Breeding leaf" Basically a large flat leaf made of plastic that floats on the water. I have a hurricane glass my female is in, the water is temped at 80 degrees and no filter running. The 10 gallon is only filled halfway right now. A good friend of mine bred a halfmoon and a crowntal and it was a beautiful mix, a large halfmoon tail with the crowns at the end just not quite as exaggerated as a full crowntail. Anyways my male is currently making a nest but only around the edges of the tank not in a nice bunch.

8. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

9. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

So you conditioned them for at least a week prior to putting them in the breeding tank correct? I'm curious did you change the water after you put male in the 10 gallon?
    How long have you had the female in the chimmeny?

10. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Actually a week and a half it will be two weeks of conditioning on tuesday. I did a 50% water change because it was getting pretty nasty looking which in turn destroyed his nest. She has been in for three days as of today. As of this evening it looks like hr barring is starting to subside but shes still very heavy with eggs and the ovipositor is still highly visible. Hes making a nest but it is a perfect line around the tank of single bubbles side by side, hes not using the plants or the breeding leaf, like he was before.

11. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Ah... you're conditioning them in the breeding tank? I think I know what you're troubles might be then.

12. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

I have another female who is also a half moon that i am willing to try if this attempt fails, Her coloring is not as brilliant as the crowntail and shes a metallic light teal and black, where as my crowntail is a deep deep metallic dark teal and black. If this attempt fails I will resort to the other in few months so as to not wear out the male and not stress out my females.

13. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Always good to have a back up female but are you conditioning in the spawn tank?

14. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Oh and thanks to all for the warm welcome........... Ah but on a positive note I have two Gouramis that seem to have fallen in fish love.

15. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Yes i continued conditioning in the spawn tank, Was that my wrong move????:;smack

16. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

I think that's the problem. :p

Remove both the male and the female into individiual containers and place them side by side then card them (place a piece of paper or cardboard between them so they can't see each other or any other fish that may be beside them). Now since they've just spent a week or so togeather I would recommend leaving them carded for a couple of days and continue to feed them the conditioning diet you were before. After 3 days remove the "card" and observe their reactions. They should flare and dance at each other. If they don't re-card and wait a few more days. They might be to "adapted" to each other so you'll have to undo that. If they are flaring and dancing leave them un-carded for half an hour and then re-card. Do this once a day for about a week. This should get the male back into the breeding mood along with the female.

If after a week they're in good condition, and seem to be eager place the male in the clean 10 gallon for a couple of hours to get used to it. THEN add the female back in the chimmney. Now with the female in there the male should start courting her, and building a bubble nest. (You mentioned that you had a leaf, you may want to try a styrofoam cup cut in half or even a small styrofoam plate as well these are often favored nest sites)
    MartinsMommy wrote a great betta breeding guide (Lucy gave a link to it above) so I'd suggest going by that after you've conditioned for a week.

I suspect what happened was after a week of being able to see the female but not able to get to her the male has gotten frustrated and isn't "in the mood" anymore. By carding him and re-conditioning that should help.

Breeding Betta's is alot of hard work and time dedication so I hope you're ready for it lol. My first spawn isn't for a couple of weeks yet but I'm sure some of the more experianced breeders will stop to chime in in a bit.

In the mean time here's a really great site:   Just in case you haven't seen it. :)

17. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Thank you so much I have their original tanks ready for them to return to, Is it ok for my female to return to the tank with the other female or will this interfere?

18. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

No they should both be in individual containers, otherwise the females will fight over who gets the right to the male. Also after this long a seperation I suspect that you'll have a fight on your hand if you try to re-introduce the females (even if they got along before). Females are just as agressive and territorial as the males.

Also how often are you doing water changes on the containers? The cleaner the water the better while this is going on.

19. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

I have filtered tanks for both my male and my females my breeding tank is unfiltered i still do 20 to 30% water changes to the filtered tanks to ensure nothing is sticking to the gravel and considering i have ghost shrimp in both tanks there is no shrimp poop to interfere. The breeding tank i did a 50% change in because the water was just looking nasty, but duh LOL since i was continuing conditioning in the breeding tank that would explain my icky water. Silly me!!!!! PS He was also making beautiful nests in his individual tank even with the filter on.

20. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

All tanks but the spawn tank are filtered but i still do a 20 to 30% change to the tanks because my bettas live in harmony with some ghost shrimp so as to not have any shrimp poop interfere i still do water changes even with a nice filter. PS he was making beautiful nests in his individual tank even with the filter on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice