AA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mer-max, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

So. . . Has anyone ever been to AA?

By choice?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I had to go to a meeting my senior year in high school - it was mandatory for all seniors as part of "health" class.

3. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

What did they do?

4. Jaysee

Well, I didn't drink (and generally don't to this day), and didn't pay much attention. I remember everyone introduced themselves, they allowed for people to share their experiences, the guy in charge gave a pep talk, then there was coffee and cookies. Then he signed our papers and we left.

5. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Kinna meant this to be more serious hobo. And I believe you meant to say fishoholics, but I'm not calling you anything fish lore would delete for saying some mess like that about a serious disease or anything like that. . . .

6. h

hobo Valued Member Member

:sign0013:

7. Jaysee

Of course I'm sure we, at 17 and 18 years old, were treated differently than a normal participant would have been, so I can't say what it would have been like if were belonged there.

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Yeah. I figured that. My dad used to go but I don't think it worked for him

9. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

I went with a friend some time ago to offer support. It feels weird at first if you're not used to the whole supportive group sharing thing. It's odd, you feel uncomfortable sharing things with strangers at first. But if you're there for your own treatment you will find support-- you just really have to give it a chance and go to several meetings before you decide it might not be for you. There are other support groups, none off the top of my head, but they exist. AA is a 12-step program that does focus heavily on God. If that's not your thing it doesn't really matter, because they use "god" to represent a being that shoulders your problems, not really the biblical God. But faith in a higher power is essential.

Again, there are other treatment programs out there if it's not your cup of tea. No harm in trying though. :)

10. Jaysee

I don't know your dad, obviously, so don't take this the wrong way....but it's something you have to want. Lets take cigarettes as an example - the reason most people can't quit is because they don't really want to. There are always excuses - oh this happened or that happened, or whatever. But they are just excuses for why they gave in and started smoking again. It's easier to blame some event or whatever, than it is to look yourself in the mirror and say you failed. But the thing about failing is, it just gives you another opportunity to succeed.

11. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Orion that's . . . Well just hands down well said. Kudos. And jay - not defending him, but I also know there's a lot of pain involved, a very difficult physical and mental pain that's easily subsided, so I could see why it's so easy to give up on it. I think I'm the best at quitting smoking, cause I've done it like ten times lol

12. Jaysee

I quit after 10 years. I didn't use anything - just stopped smoking. It's been 3 years now, but I still think about it every day. I liked smoking, but I don't want to die of lung cancer like my grandfather.

Some excuses are better than others, no doubt.

13. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

When I did it was not by choice in basic training. Then when I did later I didn't have a real reason but did for a month then went back, not really for any reasons. But if your trying to be so much tougher,
    Whatever makes ya warm and fuzzy, no doubt.

14. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Orion, did your friend stay sober? I'm doing the same thing and am not going to drink for thier duration of sobriety and just wanna help as much as possible

15. Butterbean

Butterbean Valued Member Member

Because of my husband being in the ministry I have known quite a few people who have joined AA and NA From what I have seen it will give you the tools you need to make the changes in your life but ultimately it is still up to the person to want it enough to do it. No one can do something like that for another person no matter how much they care or want to. I have seen it work wonders in peoples lives.

16. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I do not suffer from any addictions, so I've never been to AA, NA, OA, GA etc. and I guess it's a good thing don't since I'm not a support group kind of person.

But I will say that I have lived long enough to see the damage that addiction can cause not only to the addict, but also to the people who love and care about the addict. Addiction truely destroys lives.

So if it is you personally who is think about AA, then I say get off you but and get to a meeting ASAP. And if it is for someone else, then all you can do is strongly encourage that person to get help.

Best of luck!

17. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

It's very admirable for you to support your friend this way. It's a hard road you've set yourself on. Be there for your friend, but remember that you can't be their conscience - they have to find their own. And be prepared to be tough, too. You want to give support without ignoring any detrimental behavior.

I wish you and your friend every blessing. --Maureen

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  18. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Hey - you guys are awesome! I saw the toll it took in my dad and how he struggled and how no one was there as a support person, only as a judging or criticizing influence and I know not to be that. We both enjoy boxing so I see that being the creative way to avoid the drinking and to take up time. I guess him not having anyone makes me want to be the go to guy for a friend in need.

Never the less - you guys are awesome and positive and provided the outside perspective I was looking for!

19. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

7 days deep as of tomorrow. Just thought I'd update y'all. I must say fairly easy with a lot of cocoa-colas and talking and sleep lol. Looks like I have a new roommate lol. Not really.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice