A201's New Chocolate Cichlids

A201

Bought a baby, one inch, Chocolate Cichlid, "Hypselecara Temporalis" three weeks ago. A very pretty & relatively timid South American Cichlid. They grow fairly large, eight to twelve inches & have an amazing ability to change colors from emerald green to red & mud brown.
The little guy wasn't doing well on it's own, so I bought another Juvenile Chocolate. This one is about three inches. The tiny one perked right up.
Chocolates aren't all that common in my area & were a special order at the LFS. They seem to be getting along well with their Barb, Tetra & Loach Tankmates.

BigManAquatics

Those are cool! How big they get?

devsi

They grow fairly large, eight to twelve inches & have an amazing ability to change colors from emerald green to red & mud brown.

Eight to twelve inches :)

A201

In the wild Chocolates can grow up to 12 inches. In a home aquarium, probably 8 - 9 inches.
Chocolates are sort of like a multicolored, mild mannered, small Oscar.

chromedome52

Never had them myself, but I've known several people who did - and no one ever described them as "mild mannered". They are similar in temperament to Severums, from what I've heard/seen.

TClare

But severums are mild mannered compared to oscars aren't they?

chromedome52

But severums are mild mannered compared to oscars aren't they?
Not in my experience. They are less active, but certainly more territorial.

TClare

I have never kept an oscar, but my severum is completely unaggressive - so far, it is not mature yet so we will see.

A201

My boisterous Filamentosa Barbs intimidate the Chocolates quite a bit at feeding time. So much so that I have to strategically drop pellets for them to eat.
Like most Cichlids, if given an opportunity, Chocolates would probably eat any tankmate small enough to fit in it's mouth.
I've witnessed the larger Chocolate snap at a baby Denison Barb that swam too close, but haven't seen any stalking behavior or territorial squabbles.
I've raised numerous varieties of Cichlids & haven't had a larger Cichlid species be so non aggressive as the Chocolates.
Several of my MFK on line buddies keep Chocolates with Severums. All advise they do well together. Relatively speaking, Gentle giants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NaturalGothic
Replies
Views
johnt11
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views