A wrench thrown into my plans....an aquarium journey thus far

bettasaurus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello friends. I more just wanted to share this story, and also see if anyone could relate to such nonsense.

At this point I just have to laugh, cuz this world we are in right now is so crazy, leaving my tank to being no exception now. Long story short, about 5 weeks ago my friend offered me what I thought were 2 baby harelquin rasbora fish that her school of 3 somehow managed to have. I had a 5 gallon fluval specV at the time with just my betta in there. I thought sure, and embarked on a mission to begin the updating process to a 10 gallon in the meantime since I wanted to update anyway. During that time of gathering supplies that following week, my beloved betta of 2 years passed away after refusing food for a couple days. RIP Fawkes. So I updated to the 10 gallon, brought over all the used media from the 5 gallon, and got 4 tiny harlequin rasbora from my LFS to be ready for the 2 babies coming over from my friend when they were grown enough to complete my school to a good round number of 6. I now have these fish and they are RED EYED TETRAS. Lmaooo wut. I guess I will be updating to a 20 gallon much sooner than I thought! And probably getting them some friends.

Anyways, happy aquarium adventures to you all XD

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can somewhat relate sorta... maybe not? lol

A few years back I got a couple Rummy Nose Tetras from one LFS. I then realized that I wanted to add to the school, but that store didn't have them anymore and didn't know when they would get more. So my impatient butt went to another store, found that they had some, so I bought a bunch and brought them home. When I finally unified the schools of Rummies, I sat in front of my tank for a good hour with my face practically pressed against the glass and I noticed that there were slight differences between the other store's stock of Rummies. I did some research and found there are different species of Rummies. They schooled together fine but I could tell the difference and it bothered me. A lot of them died off due to old age recently, I got them back in like 2015-16 or so?

OP
bettasaurus

bettasaurus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
candiedragon said:
I can somewhat relate sorta... maybe not? lol

A few years back I got a couple Rummy Nose Tetras from one LFS. I then realized that I wanted to add to the school, but that store didn't have them anymore and didn't know when they would get more. So my impatient butt went to another store, found that they had some, so I bought a bunch and brought them home. When I finally unified the schools of Rummies, I sat in front of my tank for a good hour with my face practically pressed against the glass and I noticed that there were slight differences between the other store's stock of Rummies. I did some research and found there are different species of Rummies. They schooled together fine but I could tell the difference and it bothered me. A lot of them died off due to old age recently, I got them back in like 2015-16 or so?
I do not know how my friend thought they were harlequins? I could see maybe scissortail, but even still. She claims the fish store she got them from sold them as Rasboras, but not knowing really what type. Wow that's amazing they live that long, how exciting! You learn more with each fish. I had no idea there were different rummy noses.

I actually found the red eyed tetras a new home that will give them the required space they need and a large school to hang with. I can now get me some ember tetras...huzzah!

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bettasaurus said:
I do not know how my friend thought they were harlequins? I could see maybe scissortail, but even still. She claims the fish store she got them from sold them as Rasboras, but not knowing really what type. Wow that's amazing they live that long, how exciting! You learn more with each fish. I had no idea there were different rummy noses.

I actually found the red eyed tetras a new home that will give them the required space they need and a large school to hang with. I can now get me some ember tetras...huzzah!
My guess is that they were in a tank where the card/sign was not updated, and whoever helped her wasn't actually in the hobby themselves. I can see this happening in a petco or walmart. So your friend just went with it.

That's good that they got a proper home, but still it's a funny scenario lol.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom