A word of advice - snails don't always climb out of filters :(

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've had two nerites in my 10 gallon (divided with two bettas) for awhile; one on each side of the divider though they frequently switched sides

One of them has been in hiding for ages. I didn't think toooo much of it, because he found some hiding spot somewhere when I first added him, as I couldn't find him for awhile. He eventually resurfaced, so I wasn't too worried.

But it had been what seemed like way too long without having seen him. I had taken a peek in the HOB filter housing, as I've had one that liked to hide there, but he never went much past the most visible parts, and since he wasn't there, I figured he was hiding in the tank somewhere.

We pulled the tank away from the wall because we're putting the background up (finally) and since the filter was more easily accessible, I decided to really poke around. I got a flashlight, and lo and behold, at the very bottom...a stripey snail shell. Rather, a very empty stripey snail shell.

In conclusion, I guess snails' GPS systems aren't all that accurate, and they can climb in and get confused and not find their way back out. RIP stripey snail

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys. I probably have too many nerites anyway; I won't even tell you how many I have in my 20 long, so I may relocate one to give him a snail friend. (I'll be un-dividing the tank shortly, but that's a story for another thread )

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
18 Nerites?
42 and a half

I often find strange things in my filter. The panda Garra used to love the filter before he dropped off the face of the earth. Fry, shrimp, snails, plants, and major filter gunk are the more common ones these days...

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LOL not quite that many Alright, I'll tell you I have one in the 10 (used to be two) and five in the 20, but two of them are horned nerites, which stay smaller. Nothing terrible, but someone mentioned in a thread recently about not having too many nerites in a tank because they compete for algae, and I was like :X oops

I'm leaving the lights on an extra hour daily hoping to grow some more algae Can't put any in the 55 with the assassins.

Edit: Aww, no more panda garra, Akari? He was cute

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nope, they're just like candy, can't have just one ;D I had the horned nerites in the shrimp and 5 gallon betta tanks, but then I took those down and set up the 10, but since it was new (well, was set up a long time ago) there wasn't any algae in it, so they went in the 20. Also when my mom's betta died, she decided to take her tank down since they're moving, so I inherited one that way. I may put him in the 10 so he can be friends with the snail that's in there.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, he just poofed. No sign of him anywhere. Last pic i got of him was a good one, though.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Baww that's terrible Well, with my luck, maybe you should check the filter (jk I'm sure you have)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom