A Word From The Not So Patient Beginner Her Self.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I didnt know anywhere else to post this but here.
I ripped apart my 15 gallon 3 times, only on the third try did I actually get it to cycle in 15 days. Well it's only been cycled for 5 days.
My advice for any of you goes as follows: ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE! do not be shy, no question is stupid, all questions have answers on here that you will appreciate.
With out any of the people on here I would have never got my 15 or 50 gallon under control by simply leaving it be and only doing what you're required to do, dont get obsessive with water changes because sometimes it does more harm than good. One water change every 7 days is great. If you feel that you need to do one before the 7 days PLEASE ASK!.
Now I know the nitrogen cycle can be stressing whether its fish in or fish out but keep up with it! Never give up there is always a way!
Never be fooled by false positives the api master fresh water kit gives false positives for nitrates and ammonia make sure you find other tests that are just as accurate but less likely to give false positives. Seachem has some good products I highly recommend them. Also top fin is good as well. Api makes lots of products too but I personally dont swear by them.
And lastly a thank you for all those who helped me, I think I'm not afraid to start helping out by answering people's questions where I can. Below is a picture of my proudly cycled 15 gallon. Enjoy my flutter babies (guppies)

Attachments

jack22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lauradesu said:
Its okay to do it 7 days after you start your tank but that's for a fish in cycle, I'm not sure when you should change it for a fishless cycle
I did fishless cycle for 2 tanks; you don't have to change the water at all. Very much less work than fish-in cycle that I've done many years ago.

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Adrian Burke said:
When in my cycle is it ok to do a water change?
I had to do a water change in order for my tank to finish cycling.
I was over a month into cycling my tank, maybe a month an a half.
My nitrite was processing my ammonia in less than 24 hours. My nitrite was fairly high, not over the reading chart, but it would not seem to go down. My nitrate was super red!

I was not sure if a water change was needed, but after staying at those levels for past a week with no improvement, I did a water change daily, & my tank cycled after a couple of days.

With this being said, unless you're in a funky situation like me, being well into the cycle & readings such as nitrate & nitrite not getting lower, there is no water change needed.
This was a fishless cycle (recommended)
Now with a fish in cycle (not so much recommended) water changes are important as levels can get high enough to stress or kill some fish.
I've done both types of cycles.

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have a test kit. I might get one soon. I'm going to do a water change tonight, i've had fish for 8 days and before that no fish for 4 days.

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Adrian Burke said:
I don't have a test kit. I might get one soon. I'm going to do a water change tonight, i've had fish for 8 days and before that no fish for 4 days.
Yes, buy one. Do not get the strips, although they are much cheaper, get the master kit liquid one.
And if you have fish in, i would add stability
Read the instructions on the bottle & use it for 7 days. Make sure you have a good water conditioner such as prime.
And also, once you buy your testing kit, TEST DAILY.
If your levels are some what high, you will need to do a water change.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom