A What If Question... Question

1. berri

berri New Member Member

Say you go to sleep and your electric goes out due to a storm. You get up in the morning and find no power. How would this effect your pumps, filters, etc? Say it goes off and back on before you get up. Could there be damage to the equipment and/or fish?

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

If you lived in a hot area then there would be likely not much of an effect on the fish.

The heater would be able to stay off for a few hours in a hot country, and the fish can survive weeks without filters/ pumps (not ideal though)

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I have 6 tanks in my room. The "sound" of everything shutting off simultaneously wakes me up.! haha I just can't sleep through a power outage! The silence is deafening! But what happens if it happens while I am at work for instance?

As long as the temp in the house is not extreme, the tanks should be fine temp wise. You do not want to let the media in the filters get dry. Then you will lose beneficial bacteria. So that is a concern if the power is off for a very long time.

Some filters cant prime on their own, so the motor could burn out when the power comes back on if you aren't there to notice and pour water into the filter (some filters can self-prime and then it isn't an issue)

4. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

If your power goes off overnight, it shouldn't be a problem unless your tank is really crowded or your house gets very cold. But you should buy a good battery operated air pump, have extra batteries and have a blanket that will cover your whole tank too hold the warmth in.

5. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

thank you for the answers. I live in Alabama, so my fish will not get cold. Of course I do not want my equipment to get damaged but I certainly do not want my one and only fish to get harm. I am rather attached to him.

6. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

I woke up one morning to flashing clocks and the sound of a HOB filter running dry. I don't know how long it was running dry. I must've been lucky because I was able to prime it and it was fine, but for all I know it could've been like that for several hours. I'm very fortunate that my filter didn't die.

7. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

If it's a betta (or any labyrinth fish) you will have less problems.

8. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

I have had 24 hour power outages w/ tanks. You want to do water changes if you can get water close in temp to the tank after about 6 hours but that's more actually to keep the water oxygenated than anything. I pull the filter mediate out if I have HOB filters too and throw it in a bucket with some tank water to keep the BB alive.

Thankfully now I use mostly sponge and internal filtration so I just leave it in the tank.

9. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

It is a rainbow shark.

10. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

I have a sponge filter, a HOB and a canister. I got carried away with the filters.