A Wedding, A Honeymoon, And a Fishtank Genocide

cognizant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I recently got married and went on my honeymoon the following day. My husband and I were gone for one week and my mother was in charge of my 55 gallon fish tank. Understand that this was a pristine tank with a pair of breeding angelfish, 6 cory cats, 5 angelfish, and a BN pleco.

Well I come home to find that an angelfish, 3 rainbowfish, and 3 cory cats all died. Also, half of my plants kicked the bucket as well.

On top of that, my remaning cory cats all have ich! My water params are all wacky. My guess is that after the first fish passed it wasn't caught immediately and polluted the rest of the tank. The fish were all removed by the time I got home, and my mom kept me updated while we were away, so I know that 7 dead fish weren't floating around for a week.

So now I am doing daily 50% water changes and planning my Herbtana treatment (every time I have used it I haven't lost a single fish... though the tank was never as far gone then as it is now).

So my beautiful tank has gone for this: IMG_0641.jpg

To this: 1009280_375364252593341_1870257459_o.jpg

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations on your wedding!

I'm so sorry to hear about your lost fish and sick tank.

I've never heard of Herbtana. What is it?

OP
cognizant

cognizant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's used to help remove the ich... it increases the slimecoat and boosts the immune system. It can also be used as a preventative so the fish don't get ich. I used for a preventative for the longest time and while I did that they never got ich... but it gets expensive after awhile and I don't really like dumping stuff in the tank constantly.

I swear by the stuff.

Only problem is you have to add it to the tank for 10 days without doing a water change... so with my exponentially high water parameters I need to get them lowered before I can use it this time. I'm still throwing it in every day after the water change, and when the params are low enough I can do the actual 10 day treatment with no water change.

Kaz82

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on your weeding!!
Sorry about your fish though but now I am interested in what your next move is stocking wise?
Obviously you need to sort your parameters out first but what next?

OP
cognizant

cognizant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kaz82 said:
Congrats on your weeding!!
Sorry about your fish though but now I am interested in what your next move is stocking wise?
Obviously you need to sort your parameters out first but what next?
I haven't gotten that far yet. I was in the pet store over the weekend getting dog food and wandered into the fish section. My husband (still sounds funny saying that) was pointing out all these fish. The conversation went like this:

Hubby: How about one of those?
Me: We can't put an Oscar in a 55 gallon tank with other fish. They get huge and would eat everything else.
Hubby: How about those?
Me: The angelfish and rainbowfish will probably eat the neons.
Me: That's salwater, sweetie.

*sigh*

Feel free to offer suggestions.

GuineaPigster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
cognizant said:
I haven't gotten that far yet. I was in the pet store over the weekend getting dog food and wandered into the fish section. My husband (still sounds funny saying that) was pointing out all these fish. The conversation went like this:

Me: We can't put an Oscar in a 55 gallon tank with other fish. They get huge and would eat everything else.

*sigh*

Feel free to offer suggestions.
Hahahaha!
Congrats on the wedding; I'm sorry you came home to this!
Would you share the parameters please?

OP
cognizant

cognizant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GuineaPigster said:
Hahahaha!
Congrats on the wedding; I'm sorry you came home to this!
Would you share the parameters please?
They are all the highest they can go... it has to be that she didn't catch the first dead fish right away. No idea what else it could be.

tropicalfishlover

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cognizant said:
*sigh*
Though I'm sorry about all the fish you lost.

Kaz82

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Men are funny when they have no clue and just want pretty things

OP
cognizant

cognizant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have been continuing with the water changes over the past week. I also removed all of the dying plants from the tank (which left it almost bare) so I planted 24 low light plant bulbs and am keeping my fingers crossed that they grow soon.

Still haven't added any new fish. I am still leery about adding any more for at least another week or two.

55g August 30, 2013.jpg

Crunchy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry for the loss. Maybe it could be due to overfeeding. Did you find out whether she overfed?

fishynoob

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh wow. I'm sorry about your fishy loss, I have similar fish conversations when I go into the to fish store. Apparently what they want are yet more live bearers... I said Ok.... But before we do you are going to have to get me that 450L tank ...... they said that wouldn't be happening.... lol

OP
cognizant

cognizant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bad news: Another Cory Cat passed away. It had a seizure and dropped dead while I was getting everything ready to start a water change.

The good news: The bulbs I planted have started to grow.

1011658_380467772082989_502962884_n.jpg
1262860_380467808749652_20294164_o.jpg
1279037_380467882082978_997905667_o.jpg
1292845_380467748749658_729845386_o.jpg
1292883_380467855416314_308159549_o.jpg

OP
cognizant

cognizant

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishynoob said:
Oh gosh. Any ideas what caused the massive losses?
I'm fairly certain that the very first fish death wasn't caught right away which caused the numbers to spike and thus the others died. No one in the house ever spent much time checking to make sure the fish were all alive since we religiously did 2 50% water changes a week. The water was always pristine enough for my angelfish to breed nearly monthly.

Now I'm doing either daily or every other day 50% water changes trying to get the tank back to normal.

Kirstos

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sooooooooooo sorry to hear this, I hope its sorted and back to normal soon.

New Threads