A way to save money

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by atmmachine816, Mar 26, 2006.

1. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Well I decided to try something new today, instead of replacing my filter cartridge in my penguin-bio-wheel with a new one I decided to throw in some filter fiber I had laying around and see how it worked. Well I put in enough to make the wheel spin and so far it's doing great. All that is different then the regular cartridges is there is no carbon. Before you decide to do this let me finish expierementing to make sure it's works good but if you want to do it to you can. It's a lot cheaper for me ;D and is a lot easier. Let me know if you do this, see any flaws, or are going to try it.

Austin

2. Marc

MarcWell Known MemberMember

I have tried it and it worked horribly. At least, it did on my 330.

3. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

4. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

You can use the untreated quilt filler from wal-marts quite successfully. Just make sure it doesn't have any flame retardant or perfumes.
    Carol

5. Marc

MarcWell Known MemberMember

If you just stick in filter floss the water passes through it badly and will often either just go over it (carrying any debris) or go over the edge of the plastic near the tubing.

6. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Is filter floss and filter fiber the same? And I have it completly up so that water passes throught it not over it but we will see how it works.

Austin

7. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Well it's been a week now and it has lots of junk on it and the wheel is still spinning great and the water is crystal clear, it's working GREEAT

Austin

8. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Anybody, is filter floss and filter fiber the same? It's been over a month now and it works great. The water doesn't pass through it but rather it collects tons of junk. Only draw back is that you have to rerange it every week when you turn the filter off.

9. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

yep onee and the same really confusing isent it

10. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

you could do the same thing off ice does

11. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

That's a great idea. I might have to try that.

12. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Fish R Friend that's what my grandpa did for years but since I combined the fish from some of his tanks when I did it the wheel didn't spins so I bought store bought ones, then I was tired of spending the money and I find it's a lot easier just to stuff some of it in and make sure junk is getting on it. It works great for me and collects more junk than you'd think, :D I'v been doing it for several months now and it's still working great.

13. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

yep its the same thing just different ways of saying it (floss and fiber :) )
    I use it to clarify my water sometimes. My 55 has messy eaters in it and the water gets bits of dissolving shrimp pellets floating around while their eating and the floss takes it right out.
    Carol

14. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

well im glad you found something that works only if there was some way to do the same thing onthe tetra filters :-\

15. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Internal or HOB?

16. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

HOB im thinking of a way to do it

17. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Can't you just take a handfull and stuff it in there, that's what I do.

18. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

no it may get stuck in the chamber were the impeler is

19. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

O they aren't separate, in the bio-wheel they are?

20. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

they are really close with a very little bearer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice