a way to keep bettas from jumping over the divider

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so i just divided my 10g....i have been so paranoid that one of them was going to jump over. at first i just put a bunch of rolled up screen in the space between the divider and hood. but then, after my dear husband made fun of me, he had an idea !

he had some sheets of gutter guard, it looks like over sized mesh, that is firm. it doesn't fit the entire width, but if you piece together a couple, on each side of the divider, it will cover the surface..... then that will allow you to raise your water levels a bit without worrying about naughty boys jumping. hope this makes sense!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i actually bought my divider, so i didn't choose the height.but more than that, i had to place a black divider piece in front of the original divider (to stop bad boys from flaring). i did have it taller at first, but then realized the hood wouldn't fit with it at the height i wanted. and i wasn't quite comfortable enough with it being shorter so the hood would fit. there was still a space.

so that's when i was brainstorming with my husband..... yes midthought, i was going to post some. however, i have had NO luck with pics lately. my computer refuses to post them to my album, or resize them to post in a thread. grrrr. i'll try again though.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aww okay. No problem, I'm just really curious because there's a small area at the top of my DIY divider that sounds similar. Look forward to the pics.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hmm off to google! ya know my boys are nawty! I could just see Thomas waiting for his chance tonight.... lol!

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like ti yse the plastic canvas you can get at the craft store. Just lay it over the top of the tank.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like ti yse the plastic canvas you can get at the craft store. Just lay it over the top of the tank.
i'm not sure what plastic canvas is....is it that needlepoint stuff? i'm not exactly crafty, so i don't know! i have never been to that section, so maybe i need to check it out to see what's out there

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it's plastic needle point stuff. I use it for many different things. I make tank dividers with it also.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ahhh i had no idea! i had my husband get me some black needlepoint stuff, lol, to put in front of my divider......so he saw the selection, i didn't. i didn'tk now what sizes they came in. i guess if it's a big enough piece, that would be great! i'll have to see what sizes they come in.

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they come in large sizes which is what I always get and then that way you can cut it down to any size.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Laying a sheet of plastic canvas over the tank is a great idea! I have a 20g I will eventually set up, so I would have had to confront this problem eventually, but it seems that you just solved it for me. Thanks!

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL Your welcome. If they aren't big enough what I do is thread fishing line through the ends to hold them together.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah that's exactly what i did with the gutter guard stuff. it had to be pieced together. but i guess either material you choose does the trick.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom