50 Gallon Tank A Way to Get a Grumpy Convict to Make New Friends?

CatfishLoachZealot

So, currently, in my 50 hex I have a 3inch long Convict Cichlid, named Greven, who I've had since I adopted him as a baby from a friend (about 2 years ago). He is the lone survivor of his line - the rest of his large family died in a house fire literally a day later (the humans who were raising them have made a full recovery, thankfully). Anyway, he got along great with the inhabitants that were in my tank when I got him, but as he's gotten to be a teenager, his aggression has been taking its toll. He has single-handedly (-finnedly?) annihilated half a school of female Congo Tetras, 80% of a school of Buenos Aires Tetras, a Silver Dollar, and 6 good-sized Black Skirt Tetras. The only other living resident in the tank right now is the largest of the Black Skirts (who has been in the tank since before Greven came to live with us). Most recently, I tried adding a Blue Gourami, as a fish who would occupy the higher strata of the tank that Greven doesn't frequent as much, but upon seeing him attack the bag while the gourami was still in it, I opted to return the Blue while still in re-sellable condition.
So here is my proposed strategy to add one more fish to this rather barren tank. I'm thinking of adding either a Rainbow or Red Tail Shark, as I think they are more likely to defend themselves, and will be faster than the tetras were (one of Greven's philosophies on how to lay waste to his neighbors was to follow the "you have to sleep sometime" mantra - the Buenos Aires school survived their entire first day in the tank, only to be murdered in their sleep that first night). I'm also thinking the jerk might be less inclined to attack something that isn't shaped as similarly to him.
To help implement this plan, I'm also thinking of rearranging the rocks/plants/driftwood layout. I've heard that changing the floorplan in a tank forces an established fish to renegotiate its territory, and maybe doing this right before adding the new fish will help?
What do you all think? Has this strategy worked for any of you? Are either Rainbows or Red Tails faster than the other? Or should I just resign myself to the fact that this tank will just have to have these two fish until their lives have run their course?
Oh! He also abused a large Mystery Snail to the point where I was worried the snail would keep hiding until it starved itself if I didn't re-home it to a nice peaceful 5-gallon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
ALS
  • Question
Replies
Views
Halloween