A walk through my LFS!

shadowfish

so my mom took me shopping with her but the reason I wanted to go was was....to go to the petstores!!!

my mom dropped me off at petco and I looked around and most of the tanks had dead fish and fish with stuff on them a ton of algae,I felt sick just looking at all the fish (I'm not kidding)
,I was looking at two pearl gouramis (I bought one too . ) the two gouramis where all alone in one tank and had dead and decay in the tanks around them.so I told a lady that I wanted a few plants and a gourami (after getting false info about them from her) so she got my plants and my gourami,she was a little crazy btw and even yelled in a happy way when I told her I want a fish...,then all of a sudden after we were done she turned and opened the cover to the ADF tank and poked one that was sitting on a rock!!!!!!then she laughed a bit and went back to her work.

the work she was doing was opening a new shipment of bettas that where in tiny,I mean tiny bags (the bags were about 3in high and 2in wide) and I felt sick again...

my mom picked me up and she said that she wants to do a few other things and she drove me to pet supplies plus.

well the tanks were even worse overstocked 5 gallons,injured fish,so I told one person that they had a ton of dead fish and she just said "that happens" so I became a bit mad and pointed to a tank that had 10-15 dead fish in it and she just stared a bit then got someone to get them out,before that I was looking in a tank and saw A Water scorpion so told the guy to take it out.
so I watched them take out dead fish and looked over and they had a hamster door open!!!!!!!!!!!!!so of coarse I told the "dead fish lady" and she closed the door and didnt even thank me for telling her...

so I figure that the petstores are calling around telling of a mad and upset 14 year old that tells them what to do...

I was thinking of doing something other than telling the stores that they need to improve
but I don't know what...

I hope you "enjoy" this walk through my LFS!

Plecomaker

That's a weak store.
my main store won't even sell fish from a tank that he suspects might has ill fish.
he even told me "no" to a fish once, he said was acting funny and the next day it definitely had ich.

I'm sorry your experience is not as good. Do you have any stores that are small and privately owned?

shadowfish

not close that I know of...

the petco store used to be clean and nice,they had healthy fish,seeing a dead one was rare.
I think what the problem was with that store was that they had new employees...

the pet supplies plus in that area I have never been in before

Plecomaker

not close that I know of...

the petco store used to be clean and nice,they had healthy fish,seeing a dead one was rare.
I think what the problem was with that store was that they had new employees...

the pet supplies plus in that area I have never been in before
Sounds like it time to try it.
I mostly use a famly owned one, they have more invested in quality fish, plus they buy my fry!

Nickdrummer

Sorry you had a bad experience, I also am probably complained about at my Petsmart! I am 16 and when I go in there they used to always tell me info that was wrong etc... So finally I started going in and just explaining things to the employees... Like when I wanted a Krib for my tank she asked what other fish I had, when she realized they weren't cichlids, she wouldn't let me get the fish... I explained that GBRs, Kribs, and other fish sometimes will work fine in a community. After I "quizzed" her and showed her many reliable source of where I received my info, she apologied and gave me the Krib! (Might I add it was in assorted cichlids) know they all know me and when I go in there sometimes they have me help them with fish that can go together etc like when they put Bichirs with Guppies and I was like NO NO NO. Or they get random fish in and they don't know what fish it is, I tell them and help them label etc... Of course it is still a chain, but at least they know I mean business.
I still also prefer my local fish store that is privately owned. I've been offered a job there and they are extremely nice people.. Try to find a LFS that is private!!) trust us that's the way to go!

shadowfish

I wish I could find a private fishstore but I don't know how to find one,its kinda funny that you said something about being offered a job at the store,because petco (when they had a clean store) told me two times that I should get a job there when I turn 18

Nickdrummer

Yeah since my fish store wasn't a chain they literally would hire me to clean the tanks, but maybe you could do a search of pet stores near you
like type into google pet stores near (insert town) and you should find some stores and maybe a cleaner chain store or a private one

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
ForBettaorForWorse
Replies
Views
Broggy
Replies