A very impotant desicion...

jinx_beta

Reaction score
As you have probably gained from reading the title to this thread- I have a very important desicion to make...

I have a 60 litre aquarium, which contains 5 neon tetra, a "frisky" male guppy and Phantom, my purple veil tailed betta.

I also have a smaller tank, which is 15 litres, which contains my forever pregnant female guppy (had to separate him and her!) and her adolecent fry, all 3 of them...

BTW= Both of these tanks are filtered by internal powerfilters, and heated by the same type of heater (fluval). After putting my female in the smaller tank, I was happy to say that both tanks were the same PH and temperature.

Before I had gotten the 2 foot tank, I had had the intention of getting some gourami. But, I fell in love with Phantom at the aquarium shop, and lost all chance of getting some Gourami.

But now I have the smaller tank- I thought that I could move my betta in with the girls (he gets along fine with them) and get myself some Gourami. But Phantom is sooooooooooo happy in the community tank, that I cannot possibly move him out.

My first Betta, Orion, lived in the smaller tank for a year before passing away (old and happy). So I know betta can live in the smaller tank happily enough...

Please help me- do I risk Phantoms happiness and get some gourami, or leave my tank as it is, pretty average, and boring? :-\

HELP!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think your betta would be ok in the smaller tank, but is happier with more room to roam. He's getting along with tetra and guppy, which is not common, and you'd need to move the female and her fry to the bigger tank, which means they'll get eaten unless big enough to survive. I'd keep the tanks as is, since you have a working community tank. are the newborn fry are put in something else until old enough to go in with mom?

What size gouramI (adult size) are you looking at? Make sure it will fit in your 60 litre if you move the betta to the smaller tank.

OP
J

jinx_beta

Reaction score
Don't worry about the fry- I think the female guppy is due to give birth to a second lot- and I'm waiting for one of the three midgets to gain its colouring. That's my general rule- once coloured, the fish are able to survive out in the "wild".
I am seriously thinking about getting one of those guppy/fry breeding tank things- they're pretty cheap, and effective so I've heard.

From what I've researched, the adult gouramis I'm thinking about are:

Blue GouramI or Three spot Gourami
scientific name: Trichogaster trichopterus

Growth: maximun size of 6", but when you purchase them they are about 2 1/5"
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Care level: Easy

And I have now realised that it would be much better to get a dwarf type- because they would be happier- so I'm considering this:

Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
scientific name: Colisa lalia

Growth: maximum size of 2", but when you purchase them they are about 1"
Temperament: Peaceful
Care level: Moderate

Would it be better to get dwarf afterall? How many of them?
------------------------------------------

BTW= when I got my 60litre tank I was so happy- but for some reason I always seem to be wanting a bigger and bigger tank! Will I ever satisfy my wants for fish?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, the general rule is 1" (adult size) of fish per gallon (3.79 litres) and keep in mind that gouramI & bettas can be aggressive with each other being in the same fish family, although that dwarf blue gouramI is the best-tempered of the gouramis I think.

MTS is hard to resist and we're up to 5 tanks now.. so many great fish..

OP
J

jinx_beta

Reaction score
LOL!

Thanks for the advice- I'll add it up, and then I'll be able to get some dwarf Gouramis!

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Just don't mix the Betta with the Gouramis. Even the Dwarf Gouramis will fight with the Betta or the Betta will kill the Gourami. It's not worth the risk to either fish.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Phloxface said:
Just don't mix the Betta with the Gouramis. Even the Dwarf Gouramis will fight with the Betta or the Betta will kill the Gourami. It's not worth the risk to either fish.
I have to agree with this poster on this one. The dwarf gourami's are hard to resist I know. I had two in my community before adding a male betta. Just wanted you to know that the betta and the male gouramI did not get along. If one wasn't chasing the other..they were in each others face. More so the aggresor was the betta. A question to think of would the betta get along with a female gourami? I know that the betta didnt really bother the female dwarf in my tank, but maybe it was the fact that it had the male to deal with. I didnt wait to find out. I seperated them and put the betta in his own 10 gallon tank. IMO if you were to chance putting the two together, you can possibly end up with a stressed fish that is unhappily being tormented. And that's not what I wanted in my tank, as the 29 gallon community tank is now a very peaceful one. Two dalmation mollys, four platys, each a pair. and the female dwarf gourami. I'm planning on adding two angels then the tank will be complete. Good luck with your decision.. you have a tough choice as like I said... those dwarf gouramis are really beautiful fish!

New Threads