A Ton Of Algae. Help...

SomeoneFISHy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Soooo, I have had a problem in my tank for the past, 3 weeks or so. A few spots of algae appeared. I thought nothing of it. Then, it bloomed, and is now all over the rocks. It isn't 3D, but it is dark, and unappealing, if you look from the top. Same with the sides. How do I get rid of it?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not a lot of time right now... But firsts things first. We must make a strong attempt at id'ing your uglies. It could just be a diatom bloom, ugly, but it doesn't last forever with proper maintenance.

Is it only on the rocks and stuck like Chuck even with a good scrubbing? If so you may want to look back on my own reef tank thread. I had something that went unidentified and lasted for months. More on that later if needed.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you have a picture so we can figure out what it is?

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am guilty of leaving the lights on, and the tank gets partial sunlight... lol. I am spoiling my corals. I was worried that I may be doing something wrong if I leave the lights off. The algae is green, not diatom, ( I think.) I haven't tried anything yet. My nem decided it wanted to move, so it is now on the rock. My Kenya and Mushroom are on it as well. Is it OK to take the coral off?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hrmm, I think I understand but must say, you are not spoiling your corals if algae growth explodes. Algae is perfectly normal in their natural environment but there must be a balance because even in nature, corals don't want algae encroaching and choking them out. Also, like anything, corals need a day and night schedule. Not all, but many corals do their feeding in the dark.

It is okay to move the coral if you can detach it without causing too much damage... I should mention that softies are not the easiest thing to glue down. I have never had great luck gluing a mushroom in place but you can provide an environment for the shroom to attach itself. This would be something like a glass you place in the tank with the mushroom and some rubble inside. Within the glass, flow will be low so the shroom can't get blown around, and it will easily attach itself to a piece of rock. At that point, it's much easier to place the shroom where you want him because, unlike that slimy shroom, you can use glue or epoxy on the rock. Back in my early days, I had Xenia, a soft coral that could be physically likened to a kenya tree... I guess. Anyway, I did find myself having to glue it down where I wanted it so just wanted to say... That was a mess, lol, I got glue on the polyps and everything, but... the coral survived.

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK. Should I take the rock out, and scrub it?

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
24/7. I am going to switch to a schedule, where I turn the lights off, or to a darker color when I go to bed

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
SomeoneFISHy said:
24/7. I am going to switch to a schedule, where I turn the lights off, or to a darker color when I go to bed
24/7 is a big time no-no with a marine tank (I wouldn't even do that on my freshwater tank). 8 hours is considered healthy for long term coral growth without excessive algae growth. Corals actually need total dark for a period of time at night for healthy feeding (most of them actually feed at night.

OP
SomeoneFISHy

SomeoneFISHy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am going to take the coral off of the rocks, as well as the anemone, and scrub the rocks. Do I use a rag? sponge? I know not to use soap.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just a toothbrush. If all else fails Fluconazole will wipe it out you and you don't have to pull anything out of your tank except Carbon or Media (even Chaeto is fine in there with it).

This is what my tank looked like 2 weeks prior to treatment (notice all the hairy gunk in the rockwork):

Here it is after doing a single dose for my size of tank and letting it sit for a month with no water changes:

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom