A tip for newbies and veterans in the fishkeeping hobby

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by chrt396, Jul 18, 2015.

1. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

#1 TIP.

If you are going to start a tank. There are a lot of things to think about. One of those is your water source. I usually hook up an Aqueon Water Changer hose set up to do my water changes. It's 25 ft long and was able to reach all my tanks in three rooms..the way my house in centrally designed. However...I decided to set up by back bedroom that I have been using as an office and make it a combo office/fish room. That is about 45 feet down a hallway and to the furthest corner of the room where I have a 29 gallon tank. In that room, I have a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank as well as a 40 g breeder tank. I set up the 29 gallon tank, lugging buckets of water back and forth from the kitchen. That tank is doing GREAT!!! I finally received my Rocky background from Universal Rock and was on my way to filling up my Cichlid tank. I had been shopping for rock, decorations, gravel...etc. for a while. Now was the time to fill er' up!

I decided to open the window going to the backyard pool area and use the hose..instead of lugging buckets back and forth and making a mess. The hose is only 2 months old..and it always has a sprayer attachment on it..so nothing can crawl into the hose. Plus...the pool is screened in.. I fill up the tank...get some bacteria..and plopped some fish in. (not literally) Everyone was happy..so I thought. Watched them all night. All is well. The next morning I get up...late might I add. I go to check on all my tanks and turn the lights on. The Cichlid tank is a mess. I have four fish up at the surface gasping for air. One dead on the gravel...and one laying on its side on a rock. I FREAK OUT!!! One night...what the heck could have happened.

I go into crisis mode. I net out the stiffy. I grab a 5 gallon bucket, go to my 90 and siphon out a couple gallons of good water and take the Firefish..which was about ready to croak and threw him in there. No acclimation...this is an emergency!!! I had ordered a Aqueon 50 foot water changer on Amazon..and it came the day after I filled the tank. I hadnt even unwrapped the hose assembly yet,. Have you ever tried to open one of those containers?? They must be endorsed by Fort Knox!! They are a bear to open. I clumsily unwind this stiff 50 foot hose and drag it down the hallway and get the tank ready for a water change. This was ALL within 8 minutes. I was in a PANIC!!!

Drained 75% of the water out of the tank. This time I used tap water to fill after I dosed the tank with Prime. All of a sudden, the fish are swimming around like..nothing had ever happened. Just fine! The Firefish in the bucket...I decided to put him BACK in the tank and just monitor him to assure he survived. I net him...release him to the tank..and PRESTO BINGO...he is just swimming all over the place.

OK...I diverted a dissaster...for now. I went to the fish store with my dead fish in a baggy...and was just going to try and find out WHAT happened. Whatever it was..it wasnt the fish store's stock..it was SOMETHING that I did. Well I figured it out.

TIP OF THE Day

When you decide to use a hose to fill your tank.... Make sure that you use a rubber hose. I had one of those hoses that expand when it fills with water and shrinks when you turn the water off. Bought it at the BB&B. Apparently...that hose emits a toxic chemical that is not safe for human consumption. If it ain't safe for me..it ain't safe for my fish. I basically was poisoning my fish. It's been 12 hours since the water change and the African dudes are being just as rude and ornery as they are supposed to be. They are chasing each other..and coming up to the front of the tank wanting to eat. All is well. We will see what happens when I awake tomorrow AM. I went to church tonight...just in case I have another disaster tomorrow morning.

Oh..as a side note. The owner of the store that I went to that specializes in JUST Africans...said that he would replace my Cyrtocara Moorii after the tank cycled. I thought that was a nice gesture on his part. I guess it pays to talk nicely to people. He didn't have to do that..but it gives me confidence that I'm dealing with a straight up guy!

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

You can use non aquarium hoses on your tank as long as they say for potable water on them. Ones that aren't, say non potable water.

4. BettasAndAnOscar

BettasAndAnOscar Valued Member Member

I used a "X Hose" to fill my oscar tank with no problem. Still, this freaked me out. Definitely going to be more careful, now. Thanks for the tip!

5. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Hard way to learn a lesson, but it's burned into your memory forever! i already had that lesson, now whenever i see little kids gulping from a hose I go into freaky anti garden hose natzie mode.

6. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

I had seen those and thought what a great idea it was, until I saw the warning on the package! I still had dogs at the time and although they lived inside I always kept water outside for them...filled by the hose. Nope! That thing went right back on the shelf!

This is a good warning. I'm sorry you found out this way but I am sure there are many people that never knew that about those neat-o little hoses.

7. OP
    OP
    chrt396

I'm a little older than some of you...but when we were kids...if you didn't get dirt in your mouth and take a drink from the water hose..there was something wrong with you. I LOVE your label of" Garden Hose Nazi"

Ya know...the guy at the fish store told me that there was a warning on the package...but who reads the directions for a hose!!!!! It's a hose! BUT...this was obviously a chemically dangerous one. Who knew!!!!! But as @Et tu stated...it is burned into my memory! I never set up for a 75% water change in 8 minutes before...and I had to open the iron safe packaging that Aqueon puts that darn thing in!

The hoses are not good for potable water. In that case...it ain't good for a fish tank!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  8. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Yeah I've drank plenty of water from a hose too. But I think if a garden hose is the only way you consumed water, that is where the problems come from. A summer drink probably won't hurt you. At least we're still here and kicking :D

9. LindaMS

LindaMS Valued Member Member

I was about to use my garden hose ( normal plastic type here in Aus.) when I read this and freaked out ... Back to the drawing board or should I say bucket just in case.

10. OP
    OP
    chrt396

A lot of people use a water hose to fill their tanks without issue. I believe theexpandable hoses are the issue..with what they are made of. The material inside that hose is different than a regular plastic hose. It's a material that I believe can hold on to bad bacteria more-so than a rubber hose. That is a guess...but it sounds logical to me,,since it shrinks when no water is running through it. But,,like you..I'll stick to the kitchen or bathroom sink.

11. a

You can't be that much older. We drank from the hose, had a swing set with a metal slide that would seer your skin in the summer and lawn darts. :eek:

My husband said the same thing... lol It just happened to jump out at me.

12. OP
    OP
    chrt396

Lots of young people on this forum. I feel like a old fart!! Late 50's. I guess this is a hobby for all ages! I liked em' when I was a kid...then again in my 30's...then now. Except now..I've got the savings to get stupid!

13. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Except now..I've got the savings to get stupid![/QUOTE]
    I would love to be that kind of stupid!!:;banaman

14. a

^^ Me too. Have to get two kids though college first.
    When my 16 year old said "Geez Mom, MORE stuff for the tank?" I said "Yeah, it's OK though. I'm using your college fund" :;laughing

15. OP
    OP
    chrt396

My kids are grown and gone. 1 nurse and one firefighter. Neither ask for assistance..except taking care of their dogs.. I guess they think I have nothing better to do since I'm a feeble old fart at the ripe age of 59. (in their minds!)

Kids cost!!!!! A LoT!!! Now I have grand kids..and the vicious cycle continues!

16. a

Now, why would you have any kind of life since they left? lol

17. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

All you young kids ;) I'm 67 and still love my tanks. Age isn't the issue. Being willing to learn about our wonderful hobby as you go along is the point :)

Carol

18. OP
    OP
    chrt396

You are absolutely correct!! How many forums have you seen where people of ALL ages get together to enjoy one common interest!! It is a ageless hobby!

19. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

There are probably quite a few of us "mature' folks on here. We just like to keep quiet for the most part about our age!

20. OP
    OP
    chrt396

Like...what do you like mean? Like...I'm like only like 19 years old! Like...I'm not like...old...like I'm like really really like young!
    :;rocker

I hate it when kids talk that way. My daughter got into that valley girl speech for a brief moment. THAT was put to an end very quick! The other part that used to drive me crazy was the rolling eyes!! I'd rather hit my finger with a hammer than see her do that! Alas...she no longer does that! It's incredible what idle threats can do!

OK...back on topic...before the forum police edit this conversation out of here. Don't use "Pocket Hoses" to fill your tank or do water changes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice