A tank I got of craigs list leaks...

Bgnrfishlvr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A lot! It won't hold any water. I'm so frustrated. That is money just gone and now I don't know what to do with my guppy fry . I don't want them eaten but my tank couldn't handle them even in a net .

I'm so upset

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should immediately contact the seller. If they advertised the tank as no leaks, they should do the honorable thing and return your money to you in exchange for the tank. That's awful!

OP
Bgnrfishlvr

Bgnrfishlvr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have called and emailed. No one will respond. The hood doesn't even fit the tank. I sent my husband to go pick it up, I should have known better . It's a good thing I have an attorney. It's only going to cost me fileing fees, which they will get to pay back, but it still sucks .

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depending on how much the tank cost you and if you have a copy of the ad, you could probably go through small claims court.
No attorney needed.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it's not cracked it might be worth resealing. Often times what happens is people have these tanks and have kept rodents or whatnot in them and they chew away at the silicone.

It's important to visually inspect the seals before buying any tanks.

Sorry to hear this I hope it works out.

OP
Bgnrfishlvr

Bgnrfishlvr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The ad said 20 gallon with hood. Used once for a short period of time.

I got a 15 year old 10 gallon, a hood that doesn't fit, and all around the plastic on the bottom it leaks...

It was wrapped up when I got it and I met them in a parking lot....

I will never make this mistake again...

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So they didn't say that the tank didn't leak. That was an assumption on your part. I'm afraid they won this one.

Kopeth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If it is leaking at the bottom and no cracks are there I would try and reseal the bottom.

Cieco

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LyndaB said:
So they didn't say that the tank didn't leak. That was an assumption on your part. I'm afraid they won this one.
but the ad also said it was a 20 gallon tank... that is a big difference. they mislead on purpose about the age of the tank as well... that just sucks.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go to free cycle and see if there's anyone in your area giving away fish tanks. Happens all the time. I'm constantly listing free 10, 15 and 20 gallon tanks. Too bad you didn't live closer.

I got my 30 gallon free on Freecycle. It was my original tank and I still have it. All it needed was some scrubbing.

Since the tank came from unsavory people, I don't think I'd trust even trying to fix it. Your money would be better spent just trying CL again (with an honest person this time) or buying a kit at PetsMart or Petco.

Cieco said:
but the ad also said it was a 20 gallon tank... that is a big difference. they mislead on purpose about the age of the tank as well... that just sucks.
It's quite possible they thought it was a 20 gallon. That's not an unrealistic possibility.

Put it into perspective. You can't have paid much for this tank. You got ripped off, yes that's true. But is it really worth the time and effort to bring the guy to small claims or hire an attorney? If it was me, I'd suck it up as experience and move on.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the glass isn't cracked, with small tanks like 10-15g's , I've just cleaned the areas where the glass pieces meet each other and then apply a thick solid layer of silicone along the edges to bond/seal them. Let cure and problem solved.

w_boughner

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would pit your fry in conainer that's cleen and never seen chemicals then empty the tank and dry it out the best you can than tomorrow when the remaning water has evapourated use a razor blade and cut all the silicone away from the inside of the tank then reseal with a righ quality 100% silicone

onemoreaddyplease

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bgnrfishlvr said:
A lot! It won't hold any water. I'm so frustrated. That is money just gone and now I don't know what to do with my guppy fry . I don't want them eaten but my tank couldn't handle them even in a net .

I'm so upset
As other people've suggested - have you tried to fix it?

My 2.5 gallon TetraMin starter kit also leaked when I first filled it. All I did was empty it, dry it out, and add some extra silicon to the edges. It worked for me.

Try that, and do tell how it works out for you.

brokenwing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
just resealt it, and chalk it up as a learning experience, that's life. why does everyone always want to sue everyone?

Eylisia

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thing about aquariums, and especially older ones, is that the silicone can start cracking. It may have been fine when they used it last, but with standing around with no water in it for quite some time, and then being moved, it could have simply cracked. I had this happen to my 250 liter when I bought it. The guy was very sorry and shocked, and was willing to take it back, I asked for a lower price, bought some aquarium silicone and resealed it. Worked like a charm

It's a shame they don't have the guts to say they are sorry they messed up, doesn't sound like very nice people..

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom