A Tale Of Two Tanks/ Aka Is This Normal?

Beaurgard
Howdy, so me and my friend got tanks at the same time. Both 55's, i've had my questions answered and I told him about it but he isn't forum savvy. He couldn't help himself and got a betta before cycling, which I advised against until his tank cycled. Everything was going good until the fin rot nation attacked, he looked at the cost of the medication and decided to return it to petco. I went with him and talked to the guy and watch him treat him with medications. my friend went back to the pet store after 4-5 days and bought the same betta back home. He said it had the best personality (to which I agreed). Got him home and acclimated. Fin rot seems to be in check but he lazes about the bottom unless food is present. If food is present he comes up, eats, looks around for about 30 minutes then goes back to laying on the bottom. His question is "is this normal? after 6 days he continues to display this behavior" and "what can I do" his tank isn't cycled from what I can tell but regardless of water parameters is this normal after fin rot?" Hope you guys can help him.

midna
do you know what medication(s) they used? sometimes certain medications, especially the use of multiple medications, can really knock a fish out.

Beaurgard
do you know what medication(s) they used?
I'm not absolutely sure, I know some salt was used. And something that appeared milky in a white bottle with possibly green print? could that medication really make him act that way after 6 days?

AJE
All I can say is keep the lid on, when a betta doesn’t feel well they will jump also lol one betta in a fifty five. To the what can I do question, all I can say is give him a small earth worm or some mosquito larvae, that always gives mine some energy.

Beaurgard
All I can say is keep the lid on, when a betta doesn’t feel well they will jump also lol one betta in a fifty five
he has some cory friends down there. and 3 rasboras. it's decorated too. Despite the fin rot, his color is still good. Doesn't breathe hard. Friend just doesn't want him dying.

AngelTheGypsy
What temperature is he keeping the tank at? Bettas like warm water, at least 78 but 80 is better. A betta in cooler water won’t move around much. So that is my first thought. I had this happen. Betta with no heater jut laying at the bottom. Warmed his tank and he started swimming everywhere.
He may be having trouble adjusting to the multiple moves. The water at your friends house and the pet store may be different (usually is at least a little) and he’s going through a little shock. If he’s still with you after 6 days though, shock should have reaolved by now.
A betta can do well in a 55 with tank mates, but not every betta will. Does he have plenty of hiding spots, places to claim as territory? If it’s mostly big open space, he may not feel secure. And the other fish around him may be stressing him. Make sure there are plenty of places, such as plants (live or fake is fine. If fake, try to use silk to protect his fins), caves, driftwood pieces, etc. where he can get away from everything else. A lot of times the more hiding places they have, the more they are out.
Some bettas may not like being in such a large tank, especially one so deep. They are labyrinth fish, so they breathe air at the surface as well as through their gills. Sometimes it may be too much work to get all the way to the top. What tail type is he?
Lastly, what are his water parameters? Ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If any are elevated, (nitrate under 20 is ok) that will make him sluggish. Since he’s doing a fish in cycle, I would expect him to have some ammonia and/or nitrite, just try to keep it under control, using the same techniques I discussed on your thread.
I know that’s a lot of questions and info, so ask anything you need to.

Beaurgard
What temperature is he keeping the tank at? Bettas like warm water, at least 78 but 80 is better. A betta in cooler water won’t move around much. So that is my first thought. I had this happen. Betta with no heater jut laying at the bottom. Warmed his tank and he started swimming everywhere.
He may be having trouble adjusting to the multiple moves. The water at your friends house and the pet store may be different (usually is at least a little) and he’s going through a little shock. If he’s still with you after 6 days though, shock should have reaolved by now.
A betta can do well in a 55 with tank mates, but not every betta will. Does he have plenty of hiding spots, places to claim as territory? If it’s mostly big open space, he may not feel secure. And the other fish around him may be stressing him. Make sure there are plenty of places, such as plants (live or fake is fine. If fake, try to use silk to protect his fins), caves, driftwood pieces, etc. where he can get away from everything else. A lot of times the more hiding places they have, the more they are out.
Some bettas may not like being in such a large tank, especially one so deep. They are labyrinth fish, so they breathe air at the surface as well as through their gills. Sometimes it may be too much work to get all the way to the top. What tail type is he?
Lastly, what are his water parameters? Ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If any are elevated, (nitrate under 20 is ok) that will make him sluggish. Since he’s doing a fish in cycle, I would expect him to have some ammonia and/or nitrite, just try to keep it under control, using the same techniques I discussed on your thread.
I know that’s a lot of questions and info, so ask anything you need to.
250 heater at 79 degrees, using digital therometer. he has some decorations and 2 caves, about 8 java ferns (crested/regular) his ammonia is somewhere between 0.25 and 0. No nitrites no nitrates, Ph is 7.0. I live a mile from the fish store and he lives about 2 miles (other side of town) so same source of water and test show it's pretty much the same as the pet store outta the tap. He was a halfmoon betta, now he's a quarter moon betta cause of the fin rot. Thanks ATG, you rock. EDIT: he says three days ago he did a water test and everything was the same but ammonia was at 1ppm so he did a big water change to lower it and did another one after that to get his ammonia down. idk, he don't move unless there is food, or he wants to breathe. The filter is baffled and everything.

AngelTheGypsy
The meds May have knocked him out. There are also meds you shouldn’t use with betta(or other labyrinth fish) and pet stores aren’t always the most knowledgeable. Time will tell.
Then again, I have a betta I could have sworn was gonna die several times, and now he’s over a year and a half old and still doing well. He’s not the prettiest betta anymore, has battled Popeyes 3 times, fin rot, and a fill flap injury/deformity. But as far as I can tell he’s happy and healthy. And no issues in some time (knock on wood).

Beaurgard
Do you think the meds may have permenantly messed him up? like, is he mindless? Should he return the fish?

AngelTheGypsy
Probably not. It’s more like us needing to recover from an illness.
He may try him in a smaller, shallower tank for a little while to see if that helps.

Beaurgard
How about a Breeder net? Also, he has emerald cories that move around all the time like crazy, wondering if they are freaking him out. His color is good, his fins are still melting back a bit but I didn't see any cottony stuff on them. he looks sad. feel sorry for Bruticus.

Thanks for all your help @anglethegypsy I'm glad I ran into you.

AJE
I say feed him a small worm and give him a resting place higher up. My betta sleeps on the filter-water in take

75g Discus Tank
If your friend has decent lighting, tell him to get a bundle of hornwort.

It floats and grows easily so it's a good place for a betta to explore and rest in.

AJE
Any change?

Beaurgard
Well, the change is he decided to take the betta back to the store before his tank started it's ammonia spike part of the cycle. He was still eating, had good color and we saw him at the petco the other day, still grumpy but fins were regrowing. So, oh well. However, once I get my tank cycled I might get myself one. the petco has some pretty great looking fish as far as the bettas are concerned. The guy that runs the fish area seems to really like his job and it makes all the difference.

Top Bottom