A snail baby survived from a removed clutch?

gabray47

I found a baby snail this morning in my tank. If I'm regularly removing the female mystery snail's clutches from my aquarium, is it possible for one egg to survive and hatch? I haven't added anything new to my tank lately, so I'm confused how it got here. I only have a 20-gallon tank, so I'm not looking to breed the snails. Any advice?

ForBettaorForWorse

What does it look like? Did you recently add any plants to your tank?
It could be that some other kind of snail hitchhiked in. I'm not sure if it's possible for a single snail to survive. Unless there was a small clutch hidden somewhere very difficult to find.

gabray47

What does it look like? Did you recently add any plants to your tank?
It could be that some other kind of snail hitchhiked in. I'm not sure if it's possible for a single snail to survive. Unless there was a small clutch hidden somewhere very difficult to find.
I think it is a ramshorn snail (?) after doing some research. I attached a pic. I haven't put any new plants in for a long while, but I did recently change out some of the substrate. Maybe it came with that? The timeline would be right. If it is a ramshorn, they breed like crazy, right? So if I don't want a ton of them, should I remove it and look around for others?

Attachments

• Snail_20220622_231547.jpg
    Snail_20220622_231547.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 13

ForBettaorForWorse

Yep, definitely a ramshorn, and a pretty big one.
They do breed like crazy, but from experience, especially with one that size, there are probably already eggs somewhere.
But they're pretty nice to have around. I like mine. But if you don't want them, I'm not exactly sure what to do about removing them...

gabray47

They do breed like crazy, but from experience, especially with one that size, there are probably already eggs somewhere.
But they're pretty nice to have around. I like mine. But if you don't want them, I'm not exactly sure what to do about removing them...
Wow. Okay. I'll see if I can find eggs! Thank you.
How do you keep the population under control? I wouldn't mind having some around, but I only have a 20 gallon tank.

StarGirl

They will only breed as fast as the food supply lasts. So if you dont overfeed they will not overpopulate. If they do they will even out. You can remove them to control population also.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• ArthurTheAquarist
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sewerrat
  • Question
  • Aqualegia