A Simple Filter Question

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i read a previous thread on this but i want to be a hundred percent sure. So the part where the water flows into the tank from the filter, can that be submerged underwater a little bit or does it need to be at water line? Picture for more details below.
20180507_210212.jpg

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
either one! the current it creates changes on the basis of whether it's below or above the water line.

mine are at the top and sometimes fully submerged sometimes partially submerged depending on evaporation etc. the fish seem to like the variation and play in the current.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jenoli42 said:
either one! the current it creates changes on the basis of whether it's below or above the water line.

mine are at the top and sometimes fully submerged sometimes partially submerged depending on evaporation etc. the fish seem to like the variation and play in the current.
So the filter works either way?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
So the filter works either way?
Yup! the part of the filter where the water flows OUT of the tank INTO the filter, however, must be submerged, but you know that

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jenoli42 said:
Yup! the part of the filter where the water flows OUT of the tank INTO the filter, however, must be submerged, but you know that
Awesome! Thanks. Just double checking lol.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
So i read a previous thread on this but i want to be a hundred percent sure. So the part where the water flows into the tank from the filter, can that be submerged underwater a little bit or does it need to be at water line? Picture for more details below.View attachment 436348
yeah it can be in the water a little bit just not too much or the fish might try to swim inside it but either way is good

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When it's submerged like mine is, the current is mainly across the surface and swirls around when it hits the front of the tank. There still will be some downward current at the front of the tank but it's a lot less then if the water is falling from the outlet. My Betta is not bothered by the current but I still turn the filter off at feeding time so the food stays at the front and what he doesn't get while it sinks also stays at the front instead of being swept around and possibly getting in an inaccessible spot and rotting. He doesn't miss much.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dch48 said:
When it's submerged like mine is, the current is mainly across the surface and swirls around when it hits the front of the tank. There still will be some downward current at the front of the tank but it's a lot less then if the water is falling from the outlet. My Betta is not bothered by the current but I still turn the filter off at feeding time so the food stays at the front and what he doesn't get while it sinks also stays at the front instead of being swept around and possibly getting in an inaccessible spot and rotting. He doesn't miss much.
Cool

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JamieXPXP said:
yeah it can be in the water a little bit just not too much or the fish might try to swim inside it but either way is good
This is true. if you have fry or escape artists like kuhli loaches, you'll want to put a fishsafe mesh net around the intake and outflow so the rascals don't end up in your filter...

we have the bar that disperses the inflow into the tank with tiny holes in both tanks. so they're too small for most fish to get in.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jenoli42 said:
This is true. if you have fry or escape artists like kuhli loaches, you'll want to put a fishsafe mesh net around the intake and outflow so the rascals don't end up in your filter...

we have the bar that disperses the inflow into the tank with tiny holes in both tanks. so they're too small for most fish to get in.
lol ive already found a nerite in it once just casually eating the algae off the media and my betta tried to get in when the filter was too submerged. yeah it would be a good idea to put something around the intake to make sure no one can get sucked inside since the space between the bars is a bit big. i just use the bio bags that the filter uses to cover the intake

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a Tetra Whisper.
If the filter is below the water line, the water will partially flow out the back and not through the filter media. It will also not help aerate your water.
I hate these filters, but the price point makes them budget friendly and better than no filter at all. If budget (and noise, obviously) is a concern, I'd recommend upgrading to a sponge filter.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One other concern which I recently observed/dealt with on a 10 gallon tank that my parents have, is that if the outflow is below the waterline, protein scum has an easier time building up on the water’s surface. Especially if there is no airstone. Just something to be aware of.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JamieXPXP said:
lol ive already found a nerite in it once just casually eating the algae off the media and my betta tried to get in when the filter was too submerged. yeah it would be a good idea to put something around the intake to make sure no one can get sucked inside since the space between the bars is a bit big. i just use the bio bags that the filter uses to cover the intake
LOL, our pleco loves the mesh bag over the intake because it collects small leftover food particles she can suck on.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom