A Shrimp/invert Only 66 Gallon Tank?

oOturquoiseOo
Is that silly?

I am having a heck of a time trying to find fish. I live in rural Newfoundland and need to have fish shipped. The only shop that is willing to ship doesn't have any fish that appeal to me. But they have millions of shrimp! (surprising since they're called Shrimp Fever... Haha!)

I love shrimp! I am planning a few vampire shrimp but what else? They have crabs, snails, crayfish, clams. So much choice. And I just don't know enough about it all to decide what can go together.

What do you think? Can you suggest something for me? Will it be lively enough that my kiddos (nearly 2 and 4) will enjoy it as much as I will?

Right now it isn't planted but I do plan to switch out all the artificial plants for live plants. There is small black nat geo substrate, driftwood, and garnet schist to make some caves. I have a fluval 406 canister and the tank is cycled and ready. pH is about 7-7.2, the water is soft, and I have a cuttlebone in there to keep the pH where it is (it's 6 out of the tap)

So, stock my tank for me?

Advertisement
RedLoredAmazon
I had asked a similar question a few weeks ago! Everyone said that I could stock a 54 gallon with shrimp and snails only. I can't say if you can keep shrimp and inverts in your tank since I know more than pH is important to them.

On a side note, my kids 1 and 4, both love seeing my amano shrimp and zebra nerite snails move around the tank. They get more enjoyment out of watching them since the fish always hide when they see them coming! If you are able to do this project, please update us with the progress!

Advertisement
oOturquoiseOo
Thanks! I'll definitely post pictures. I really want to do it!

Piaelliott
I like those and they are fairly big. Saw three sit together at an LFS facing the water flow filtering, looked really cool.

Vampire shrimp are awesome too.

However, having a few peaceful fish might be helpful to clean up the excess food that the shrimp won't catch.

Dolfan
Cherry shrimp would be a given, go with some nice dark red variety. than you can add it orange eye blue tiger shrimp for a different color that won't breed. Along with the Vampire shrimp, and perhaps a few dwarf Mexican orange crayfish. Maybe some amanos at some point as well. All of those should do ok with one another without interbreeding. The OEBT are the expensive ones. For nice deep blue varieties they are $5-10 each. But very beautiful.

oOturquoiseOo
Thanks!

I don't plan to feed the shrimp any kind of food like that. I'm going to get bacteria to feed them. That way the vampire shrimp will get food and the tank won't get dirtied up with rotting food.

Wood shrimp are really cool but I like how the the vampire shrimp actually move their fans to catch food rather than just sitting in the water and waiting for food to come by. Haha!

Oebt are so pretty! Unfortunately, they're nearly $20 each from the place I'm going to order from. That's just too much. :'(

I like amanos, I should definitely get some of those They'll definitely not mix.

I'll have to look up the Mexican crayfish.

Thanks again!

Advertisement

oOturquoiseOo
I'm planning a shrimp only tank. I think I have it nailed down... Maybe! Haha! I think I have changed the stocking of this tank 15 times already.

* It's 66 gallons
* pH 7 or 7.2 it's hard to tell exactly
* 0 ammonia
* 0 nitrites
* >20 nitrates, probably even less now because I have pothos growing in there now (don't worry, everything will be tested and a big water change will be done before I put anything in there)
* Small Nat Geo substrate
* Driftwood
* Garnet schist to make caves
* Artificial plants at the moment
* Temp will be adjusted to best suit what goes in there

I'm getting 2 vampire shrimp for sure.

I'm hoping to get 2 different colours of smaller shrimp. I read that caridinas and neocaridinas won't breed together. My choices are crystal black shrimp and dreamy blue shrimp. I'll link them. What do you think? Will this work?

Help?

Culprit
the vampire will work well because its filter feeders... On that note, are you ready to spot feed with a syringe and filter food?

And no, caridinas and neocaridinas shouldn't interbreed.

oOturquoiseOo
I am planning to feed biomax shrimp food. And I will feed with a syringe if I need to.

Culprit
perfect! That will look really cool. A 66 gallon shrimp tank, wow! That's gonna be so cool.

Advertisement

oOturquoiseOo
I hope so! Haha! I love shrimp but I haven't had any besides amano shrimp. I'm really looking forward to something colourful and something that will breed in the tank.

PatrickShrimp
Crystal reds would be nice. Bamboo shrimp are great. You could have thirteen in a tank that size. But I would go for five.

oOturquoiseOo
Thanks!

I've decided on crystal black shrimp, blue shrimp (can't remember the exact name now, maybe dreamy blue?) and vampire shrimp. Just waiting to hear back from the shop now. We have to set up shipping.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oOturquoiseOo
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views