A Reminder on the Importance of Hard Water and Preventing the Shimmies

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by CindiL, Aug 6, 2015.

1. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

this is just a reminder to keep your water hardness up with your livebearers to prevent the shimmies which can occur from a lack of minerals and poor osmotic functioning.

I have a tank full of live bearers. Mollies, guppies, and platies. Because I use R/O due to high nitrates in my regular tap water I add in Replenish (calcium and magnesium replacement). At a minimum I aim for 150ppm or 9 dGh. All my fish have been fine in this. I also have some crushed coral in my filters. I noticed last night that one of my mollies was having the shimmies, i.e., staying in one place in the tank shaking back and forth.

I immediately brought up the GH to over 200 and added in Fresh Trace. She is fine this morning because I caught it early. I think mollies especially need harder water though all live bearers require it. Keep your eye on your Gh with these guys :)

2. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Agreed :)

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Good reminder, thanks!

4. OP
    OP
    CindiL

I did my 40% water change yesterday and now will be keeping my GH at 200. The nerites and shrimp will probably appreciate it also :)

5. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

The Shimmies?

I tried to google and couldn't find much of a straight answer to what this is?

I'm also at work and trying to be stealthy though, lol

6. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

7. OP
    OP
    CindiL

Thats a good article on explaining it.