A quick word about links and articles

Lucy

Hi everyone
I wanted to say a few words and possibly clear up a few things about outside links and the member articles section.

Not all forums allow outside links to competing forums. FishLore does allow some outside links see: FishLore Forum Rules | Forum Announcements/Suggestions Forum | 227

There are a couple of scenarios I wanted to address in this thread since it has been happening more frequently.
We have seen links and references to other websites when the exact same information can be found here. Unless that particular information is substantially different, please give FL the courtesy of staying in house, so to speak.
Our members take the time to give detailed information either in the form of threads, stickies or articles please utilize these resources and give your fellow members the respect they deserve.
The first answer should not be Hey, check out such and such a site. Give members a chance to reply with their knowledge and experience.
Example of what could be acceptable is
Here's a sticky in the X section of the forum that might but Y website has pictures to accompany this info.

This brings me to another link situation. There are very few links or references to sites that are not allowed on FishLore. The system will automatically censor them. It's fine to ask why your link was removed but when we explain that some aren't allowed, please accept the Admin has good reasons for this.

We see some people think they have the right to question or dictate to the point of getting hostile, demanding to know why something isn't allowed some times going so far as to use the initials, use spaces, elude to or use the private message system to circumvent this issue.
Again, please just don't.

The third and I think (maybe lol) the final link situation kind of circles back to the first. Excessive links in replies. It makes us question why a member would link to a particular forum in almost every reply. Members make threads for help with their particular situations and personal replies. So please, avoid excessively linking to other sites. It make you look suspicious.

Again, I will reiterate. The admin does allow links, however not in excess, duplicate content or censored sites.
See the rules for particulars.

Whew, had enough of me yet? haha. Sorry, not done yet

The next subject that should be addressed is the articles section. We appreciate the time and effort members put into writing articles however (knew that was coming, didn't you lol) before submitting an article, look around the forum.
Are there stickies or articles that have already covered that topic? Think to yourself, does there really need need to be another article about X?

The next question to ask yourself is, Is this really an article or just thoughts put together than can easily be discussion in thread form.

Again, we appreciate the time and effort that is put into writing good articles, it' not easy, just try to make it subjects that have not been covered ad nauseam.

Thank you all so much. You're a great group of people helping each other get the most out of this rewarding hobby.

Edit:
Ermmmm...guess I wasn't done. Please for all that is fishy, don't say Google it. Or I googled and found this because most likely that has already been done.

This open for discussion or comments as long as the posts are constructive, respectful and not attacks because y'all know I'll close it in a heart beat if need be.

Thank ya.

peace.gif

Double edit, sorry that wasn't quick at that!

StarGirl

Can't the Moderation team say an article has been published already for this subject, so we are not allowing it? Having a link to the other article/articles?

fish 321

Due to the lack of saltwater keepers on here people with problems with saltwater tanks often get over looked or are left unhelped. Is it fine to point them towards a saltwater forum if no one can help them here?

Lucy

Due to the lack of saltwater keepers on here people with problems with saltwater tanks often get over looked or are left unhelped. Is it fine to point them towards a saltwater forum if no one can help them here?

Yeah, that has usually been an exception as long as it's clear the members can't help and the info isn't covered in the stickies.

Leeman75

I googled "Awesome Moderators" and found that you guys are listed there because of all you do to keep this forum running well. Thank you for all you do and for the clarification!!

Cherryshrimp420

I feel like something needs to be done about all those poor Neon Tetras (they're my favorite fish in this hobby). The new posts section is basically Neon Tetra graveyard...

John58ford

Sorry for saying the Google. I occasionally say "if it doesn't make sense, google a picture of xxxx" because I don't specifically want to credit any links for the idea lol.

Thank you mods for being patient with all of us on our journey.

Lucy

Sorry for saying the Google. I occasionally say "if it doesn't make sense, google a picture of xxxx" because I don't specifically want to credit any links for the idea lol.

That's a bit different. You are telling someone to google for comparison.
I'm refering to someone posting for example
My fish has white spots.
Reply.
Google it

AND

What the heck John. Just heavily edited your post
Didn't I just say not to do that?
And what did you just do??

Geez.

Cherryshrimp420

If a site is banned, should we not know the justification for it or at least see a list of them? To me it was really confusing in the beginning because I would be typing the link and it just disappears randomly. I can kinda piece together that there has been some past history but just seems very weird it is so hushed that we can't even talk about it.

Lucy

If a site is banned, should we not know the justification for it or at least see a list of them?

Nope. Not your business.

John58ford

Sorry Lucy, but hear me out here. I'm not asking for a change today, but it might make sense.

The fact there isn't a list of things not to be quoted, cited or linked on fishlore, is pretty much a bummer. I didn't honestly think I was breaking the rules in the post above as it was relevant to the conversation and NOT LINKS. I didn't even bring up the stuff that got the more recent one banned as I thought *that* would be the disrespectful part.

I don't need to know why. I don't demand that. I would like to suggest a list of what not to link(or mention by name like beetlejuice), it could be added right into the rules.

Lucy

Sorry Lucy, but hear me out here. I'm not asking for a change today, but it might make sense.

The fact there isn't a list of things not to be quoted, cited or linked on fishlore, is pretty much a bummer. I didn't honestly think I was breaking the rules in the post above as it was relevant to the conversation and NOT LINKS. I didn't even bring up the stuff that got the more recent one banned as I thought *that* would be the disrespectful part.

I don't need to know why. I don't demand that. I would like to suggest a list of what not to link(or mention by name like beetlejuice), it could be added right into the rules.

If something isn't allowed, it's not allowed whether you link it, say if forward, backward, play telephone with 2 tin cans and a pieces of string. (kids, look it up), or infer to it like you just did once again "I didn't even bring up the stuff that got the more recent one " yeah, you did, right in that sentence just then by saying that so just stop.

So perhaps, this will be clearer. Don't reference them either.
You knew full well something was not allowed even before I made this thread, yet you did it anyway.

At any rate, I edited my first post to clarify
There are very few links or references to sites that are not allowed on FishLore.

mattgirl

Thank you for this Lucy Maybe I am thin skinned but there have been times when I have felt like I've been slapped in the face when I'm trying to help someone and someone else comes along and links to another site. I don't understand that when just about every way to go about cycling a tank known to man is right here at our fingertips.

Mike

Thanks for the reminder Lucy!

As far as external links to the couple of domains that are blocked, you will know after you make your post if the link is broken because the domain name is blank when you hover over the link. It gets wiped by the system because the domains are blocked.

Also please keep in mind that the moderators are people too and sometimes we make mistakes when making quick judgement calls. Please don't take it personally. We have to walk a fine line protecting the forum from scammers and spammers.

Lucy

I'm going to bump up some points made in my initial post.
FishLore isn't here to promote other sites in excess. Our members are a great source of knowledge on a wide variety of topics and willing to share it with everyone.

If anyone has any questions or wants to discuss this, please feel free to shoot me a pm.

We have seen links and references to other websites when the exact same information can be found here. Unless that particular information is substantially different, please give FL the courtesy of staying in house, so to speak.
Our members take the time to give detailed information either in the form of threads, stickies or articles please utilize these resources and give your fellow members the respect they deserve.
Again, I will re-integrate. The admin does allow links, however not in excess, duplicate content or censored sites.

Thank you for this Lucy Maybe I am thin skinned but there have been times when I have felt like I've been slapped in the face when I'm trying to help someone and someone else comes along and links to another site. I don't understand that when just about every way to go about cycling a tank known to man is right here at our fingertips.

Thank you Mattgitl..
That's exactly the point. I'm sorry you're made to feel that way.

Catappa

Thank you, Lucy, for more clarification of the rules. I'm afraid I've been guilty of unwittingly breaking most, if not all. My intentions were honorable. My friends call me "the Google Queen" and I've found that many people just don't know how to use the best search terms to get answers. I will refrain from now on from googling here. I often do first search on our forum to see if something has been asked and answered in the past.

Again, I apologize.

Lucy

Hi Catappa
We realize this often happens unwittingly and we're not saying they are bad sites either. (just clarifying)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Mike
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies