A quick intro to overflows/sumps and some tips

Earthling84

HI all. I made a video because many people had questions about my sump setup and how it worked. Also many people wonder about what happens in the event of a power failure or siphon failure, so I showed these examples.

you can check out the sump video and my other videos at...

the sump video is named - "How to - Aquarium overflow / sump / refugium. Some tips"

Hope this is educational to 'newbies' of sumps. I myself just setup this sump(my first sump tank ever) a few days ago. It isn't a hard thing to setup, but is confusing and scary until you have done it and know how it works. Hopefully my video will help people understand how sumps work.

Happy Fish Keeping

jdhef

Greetings Earthling (sorry couldn't resist).

Good video, pretty informative. One thought though, what if your pump slid down to the bottom of the sump, and you lost siphon? Do you have anything other than the suction cups holding the pump at the top of the sump?

Earthling84

jdhef said:
Greetings Earthling (sorry couldn't resist).

Good video, pretty informative. One thought though, what if your pump slid down to the bottom of the sump, and you lost siphon? Do you have anything other than the suction cups holding the pump at the top of the sump?
Lost my siphon? I don't see how this could happen. There is no siphon on this tube, the pump shoots water up to the main tank. You don't want a siphon in case the power goes out so the water won't siphon back down from your main tank to the sump tank. I have some slack on the line, so if the pump did happen to fall it would just settle to the bottom and nothing would happen. But, the 4 suctions cups hold this thing in amazingly well(it is actually hard to move by pushing on it, needs a good amount of force). The only "problem" that could happen if it did fall to the bottom of the tank would be if the overflox box's siphon happened to fail, then the pump would pump all of the sumps water to the main tank, causing an overflow. however, having the siphons U tube fail, and also having the pump fall, would be highly unlikely(especially as I look at my tank/sump daily)

jdhef

Sorry, that's what I meant, the siphon on the overflow.

I know it would be highly unlikely, but it seems that most disasters occur when several unlikely things happen at the same time.

But anyway, it was just something I thought I would throw out there. As a designer, I'm trained to always be thinking about stuff like that.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom