A quick hello. 20 Gallon Tank 

leekinks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello Fishlore,

Seems like a great place for JedI fish knowledge. I'm am new to the hobby but am enjoying the highs and lows of learning. I have a fluval edge 23l tank purchased more for the size and a bit of sugar coating from my g/f because it looks nice. I cycled the tank for a month all tests were good. I added my fish 3 cardinals,6 rasbora,1 bristle nose pleco. I thought id transfered the fish into the tank with no problems but doh! left the lights on. 3 rasboras died and within 2 days so did 2 cardinals followed by the rest of the rasboras. I was gutted at the loss because I cycled the tank etc but live and learn I hve since read that the lights and transport of the fish may have distressed them to much. Any hoo after taking another water sample to the LFD all seems well. Dont want to count my chickens etc so will post up any probs.

I welcome any feed back and general chit chat.

Cheers

Lee

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fl I want a fluval edge to display at work

leekinks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI JJ thanks for the welcome. Its a great looking tank I'm in a small flat and did not want a huge tank in the living room!!

Id say that a Fluval Edge in work would look great. I got the black tank and have it set up nicely. The one thing I would mention is that as the access hatch is quite small fluval
have their own products net,gravel vac etc which seemed a bit expensive, after shopping around I got diff brand net,GV for half the price.

Hope you get one and enjoy it.

Happy Fish Keeping.

Lee.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
HI these tanks are lovely, one quick question that may help you with your fishy deaths. Have you go you water to the very top of have you left some space?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore.

The BN pleco you got doesn't belong in a 6 gallon tank - he'll get too big and produces too muc h waste. The minimum recommended is 20 gallons.

How do you cycle the tank? (Wondering if you let it run for a month, or if you used an ammonia source to feed it.) Also, how did you know when it cycled if you don't have your own test kit? Sorry for the questions, but this could help us figure out what went wrong.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another thing, the fish probably died because your tank was overstocked and none of those fish do well in newly set up tanks. Sorry to hear about your lost though.

What test kit do you used?

leekinks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI Allibobs-I have the water to the top.

Meenu-The pleco once bigger will be heading back to my LFS who advised me not to let it go to big its a juvi. At the mo we have an agreement that I will return the Pleco when its to big. I added ammonia and waited a month took samples to lfs who gave the ok I'm awaiting a master test kit through the post at the mo. I trust the LFS and have asked a lot of questions but if its a case of I got the wrong info I'll hae a quiet work with him.

Konstargirl- I used 6-1 test strips (tetra) not ideal as I have since found out but they have given the same results lfs also tested my water and gave the ok andas above I'm awaiting master test kit.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fish Lore Leekinks!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Try dropping the water level to 1cm below the top to allow fish to get oxygen I know several people who have had fish deaths with this tank and this sorted the problem.the design of the tank does not leave not much space for oxygen. I want one of these tanks as a bed side tank they look really cool

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
welcome to FL!

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
allibobs said:
Try dropping the water level to 1cm below the top to allow fish to get oxygen I know several people who have had fish deaths with this tank and this sorted the problem.the design of the tank does not leave not much space for oxygen. I want one of these tanks as a bed side tank they look really cool
Doesn't it depend on the type of fish? I know people drop the water level if they are keeping Bettas in them because they need to get to the surface to breathe, but do people have trouble with guppies and tetras and the like? The usual debage centres around the fact that the tank is so small it is only really suitable for a betta, then you have to lower the water level which ruins the nice clean lines. I don't know how much surface agitation you get in these things normally as I haven't had one but do people have trouble with other fish asphyxiating or is it just that other fish overload the filtration capacity?

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have know people who have had issues with guppy's, neon tetra's endler's and dropping the level worked for them all, see how you go on but if you struggle its worth a try

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
allibobs said:
I have know people who have had issues with guppy's, neon tetra's endler's and dropping the level worked for them all, see how you go on but if you struggle its worth a try
good idea

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
allibobs said:
Interesting to hear. Like I said I've never had one but I was thinking of getting one for work 'cos they look so cool but if the design is that bad I'll give it a miss.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Glad to have you on board. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

leekinks

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the welcome and advice.

I seem to be in a constant mind set of the fish, if any one stops or looks to be doing somethig different to what ive seen before I worry that there will be a problem.

I gotta bad case of fish nerves! Master test kit shows my water is good but I want to lower my PH any advice on that?

I did a 25% water change this morning and left an inch at the top of the tank (fluval edge) to allow more air for the guppies and Tetra.

shellbell4ever

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome, I think most people will tell you not to try and lower your pH chemically. Maybe some water changes would lower it?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads