A Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Furallicah, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

I know this is going to sound silly but I really wanted to know. How do you clean a salt water aquarium. From changing the water to vaccuming the sand to filling it back up. Can someone explain to me the ins and outs of salt water tank cleaning please? Thanks!!

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Sorry I can't help in that catagory so here's a bump!

3. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

There is a lot of exeptions on depending on type of tank, ammount of sand, what your inhabitants, etc. It also depends on what equipments you get.

For example I don't have a sand bed. Advantages is I don't have to clean the sandbed. Another one equipment related is I have a powerful skimmer that just eats away your nutrient levels so algae would not grow in your tank as often.

4. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Ok, lets say a 30gal aquarium with a sand bottom, and with plenty of live rocks and corals. Inhibitants are your typical sea creatures, The red shrimp, a few clown fish, and a Yellow tang. With a good protein skimmer, with a high powered filter system and two power heads. What would you do to go about cleaning it? *This is just an example*

5. ATP

How deep is the sand? The skimmer will need to be heavy duty for a yellow in a 30 gal as they are better suited in a 75. Also what type of coral? SPS, LPS, sofites, photosynthetic, or non-photosynthetic?

So, in a 30 gal with a 20 gal sump, full of LR (no corals yet), with a skimmer that is able to handle the bio load easily, two powerheads, with MH lighing.

Probably add a bucket of RO water a day will take you like 5 min. So Lets just say half an hour with cleaning glass and re clean in because it'll look worst with dried salt and everything.

Somedays are busier than others and some day I don't do anything at all. Throw away skimmer junk once a week, clean powerheds once a month, water change once a week, water test once a week, and add water every day or two. Its not as consistant. The expect the unexpected in tank maintaing for reefs.

6. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Lol thank you ATP, sorry I was speaking out of my head I wanted to know about them thinking about getting one but not with that stocking lol. How do you go about replacing the water and adding salt? I know that the salt would be removed with the water but do you add more to the new water or wait a few times then add more salt?

7. ATP

What I do is the night before the water change, mix RO/DI water with salt using powerheads (I mix mine using 2 K2 in a 5g bucket) and makesure the salinity is good. Let it run overnight and change the water before the lights turn on.

8. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Ok....wait (I mix mine using 2 k2 in a 5g bucket) I get the 5g bucket...but the 2 k2 part has me confused what does that mean?

9. ATP

two koralia two. I had spares so I just toss em in the bucket when I'm mixing salt. So I don't have to stir it and just observe it.

10. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

Be aware that five gallons added to 25 gallons will cause a temperature shift. Not so much in a larger tank, but you're adding what is probably colder water to warmer water. Fish don't like that. you might want to get a small, cheap heater when letting the water sit overnight. Another point is that you'll get different hydrometer readings in cold water versus warmer water.

I use a Fluval U2 filter without the cartridges in it to stir mine. Doesn't do a super job when mixing 20 gallons, but I had it laying around and in around a day and a half everything is mixed pretty well. Would work much better with the K2's as ATP said. I plan on buying a K3 for my display tank and will pull out one of my K2's for this very purpose.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Thinking about crossing over? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice