A question on stands

1. Lupinus Member Member

So when I picked up my 40 gallon breeder tank, I went ahead and picked up one of these- Breeder Stand. It's not available online, but in store they have a model specifically for the 40 gallon breeder tank.

Problem I am having is that once put together (and I've tried reversing a couple parts already to no effect) is that when I sit the tank on top it wobbles a bit. It's almost like two legs diagonally across from each other are higher and make it pivot. It's not drastic, I'd say probably less then a centimeter. But it's noticeable and I'm worried a fully filled tank on that would cause enough flex to cause issues/stress on the glass and joints. I've already returned the first one and the second one has the same issue.

Any thoughts or ideas? I thought about just maybe shimming one corner but wasn't sure if that would work out well and probably wouldn't look the best.

I considered making my own, but that's complicated by not exactly having the set up to make one as I live in an apartment at the moment. Could probably pull something off but not at the top of my list.

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Are you positive its th stand? A lot of furniture at our house does this particuarlly if it is placed right up against the wall, our house is 85 yars old, none of the floors are quite level.

3. luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

I have carpet so I don't have that problem. Maybe you could buy a thick rug and place the stand on that.

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I would go with the wood shims.
    As well, once the water is added to the tank, it will stabilize things.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I was just going to say that.

6. Lupinus Member Member

Yeah sure it's not the floor. The bottom is fine and has adjustable legs to level it. If I flip it upside down and put it onto the kitchen floor I get the same diagonal wobble, flat tank on the same floor sits nice and flat like it should. Almost certain it's a warp/torque issue as flipping around yields the same result. Two longer than other legs wouldn't cause an issue if they were in the same side of the stand, then it would just be a matter of raising the front or back to compensate. Instead it has to be difficult and be the top of the stand itself on the diagonal.

Would I need to add shims for the length of the gap or do you think I'd be fine just raising the corner? And when you say stabilize, are you thinking it'll bend the stand square or just bend the tank glass? I would think flexing the glass like that would be bad juju for either the glass or the joints.

7. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Shims in the corner should be fine.
    The stand would bend before the glass will.
    Both tanks and stands are a lot tougher than most people realize.
    This experience comes from setting up a lot of tanks over the last 30 years.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The stand will flex, not the tank.

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have two stands very similar to that one and they do wobble a little. As stated above shims will make it more stable.
    Carol

10. Lupinus Member Member

Thanks Guys!

I'm going to try swapping around one more piece I haven't tried yet to at least minimize the gap and then set it up. Next week hoping to go ahead and order the filter and heater. So long as no other unexpected expenses come up should be up in a week or two :;banaman

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Whats the stand made out of?

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome! We need pics when the tank is set up :)
    Carol

13. Lupinus Member Member

It's a metal stand held together by screws with washers.

As it is the tank basically sits on top of the two legs diagonally across from each and it'll sit on a third leg depending which way I want to tip it, leaving the gap for the fourth leg.

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, water will fix that :)

It's not like there's an inch gap or anything, right? It's like an eighth to a quarter of an inch?

15. Lupinus Member Member

I haven't measured but I'd say yeah something like a 1/4 inch give or take.

16. Lupinus Member Member

So, as is usually the case, after a question is asked it answers itself. I switched the two lower braces around which didn't eliminate the wobble but made it better.

So I just went all He-Man on it and beat it into submission. The wobble is now barely noticeable :;toast